California - Northern

Were yours shipped? Mine from him had 0 development in the second batch, but we are thinking the Post Office has a lot to do with that. I may try again next spring. I really wanted some BLRW, but only ended up with 2 chicks from the first batch...a splash and a black laced....but the splash died at about 4 weeks for some reason and the black laced is feathering out weird. I will have to post a picture tomorrow
I have to laugh every time I am led onto this forum looking for something as it moves SOOOOO fast. I can't believe I used to be able to keep up. But, no way now. Anyways, yes she picked them up. :) I am sure last time it was that the sat in West Sac in the back of a truck for 10-12 hours in the heat we had!! That week, I had literally 0 eggs out of probably 50-60 that shipped develop. And many of those I had set the same breeds and I had normal development on the ones that I set. When I looked into it with my postmaster she said west sac had been backed up all week so trucks were literally just dropping their trailers and the west sac folks got to unloading it when they had time. :-( In any case, they are laying again, so we can try again when the weather looks cooler or whenever you want. I think it was a fluke. most of the eggs that I've had shipped in Northern CA develop at about 65-75% of my normal development rates, and about 55-65% of my hatch rate. I've done a few tests recently where I set half of the exact same eggs I shipped. Out of 40, I had 37 develop and I hatched 33. The person I shipped to had around 26-28 develop of the 40 eggs and around 18 hatch. Numbers may not be exactly correct as I can't recall and obviously there could be incubation differences but it's a telling tale about dealing with hatching shipped eggs even just within a few hours drive of the shipper. Small chance I will be going to chico in the next few weeks so if I do we can meet up. :)

OR, if anyone travels the redding to chico trip and wants to haul along some eggs let me know. :)

OH WAIT!!! I am pretty sure someone is coming tomorrow from Chico to get some chicks.... love it when the brain kicks in. Let me look up her messages and see if that's right. I'll send you a PM... sorry for those of you witnessing my thought process in text form!!!
hide.gif

Thank you. I will check it out.
Yes, I just started breeding large fowl (LF) Langshans this year. I have two cocks that are huge! I have several black pullets and cockerels from the first cock as well as some hens from various blood lines. I am hoping to be breeding blue, black, and splash. I have a few blue and splash pullets & cockerels but they aren't as close to SOP (standard of perfection) as the blacks. It is going to be an uphill battle for the blue and splash. Are you looking for breeding stock or just a pullet or two for your flock? I will have culls (both pullets & cockerels) later this year but I do have a few that I already know are layer flock quality only. For example, I have an adorable splash pullet who is close to POL but has the wrong color of eyes. I do not currently have my breeding flock in pens. They are free ranging on a 10 acre farm and living the good life! I plan on setting up breeding pens again in late winter/early spring.

Two of my CCL(using your abbreviation) cockerels have been crowing since 8 weeks. Though not really loud and full throated yet, they are pretty quite generally though and the girl only makes the sweetest little peeps and cooing noises. My Pita Pintas (Pita) are very quite birds.

We let the CCL boys into the back yard and let the Delaware boy and Pitas out as well. That was a disaster. The Delaware started picking fights. I think he has started to claim the little CCL girl. The Pitas were perfectly fine with everyone in fact they shuffled back off into the pen on their own.

They are all 10 weeks old so I think the hormones are starting up for the boys. Also the CCL boys are so much smaller than the Del and Pitas I'm sure there was some thought to intimidating them but they were having none of it.

One of the CCL still has what looks like bed head all over his back and wing shoulders. He is a pretty sweet guy though.
The cream legbars hatched quieter and are quieter in the brooder during the first week. The Pita Pintas were noisy when they hatched and complained more when it was lights out( they are under a heat plate so they get to experience darkness).

I am sure the Cream Legbars will be plenty noisy when they are older, especially the cockerels.

I already have just one Langshan and two rocks. I absolutely love the langshan and just really keep them as pets and eggs. My girls are 7 months now. Do you have any around that age? The splash you were taking about that is POL? Lol....I my not sure what that stands for. :)

The cream legbars hatched quieter and are quieter in the brooder during the first week. The Pita Pintas were noisy when they hatched and complained more when it was lights out( they are under a heat plate so they get to experience darkness).

I am sure the Cream Legbars will be plenty noisy when they are older, especially the cockerels.
Well when we brought home all 7 some were more noisy than others I dont remember the pitas being noisy though. The Delaware and one of the Cream Legbars were always awake when the others were sleeping and seemed to wake everyone up as soon as we looked in the box.

Back
Top Bottom