California - Northern

I think quail are like turkey poults and peachicks, very susceptible to blackhead (histomoniaisis). When I let chickens raise poults and peas I treat them for blackhead before hatching.

-Kathy
Most people that raise Quail say not to keep the quail on the ground with the chickens. They should be is separate pens.

@chiqita has posted about this issue so hopefully she will get back on and help with letting a chicken raise quail.

ok this is what I was wondering. Can a bantam broody successfully raise quail?
How big of a banty would work, if so?
I have 3 Old English Bantams, they vary greatly in size. Only 1 of them is small enough that I would attempt hatching under her. As the eggs develops the shells get more fragile, I'm afraid the 1 1/2 pound bantams would break them just sitting on them. Our smallest OEGB is just about a pound and she has a calm disposition so she wouldn't freak when working in her pen.

Last edited:
Quote: Not trying to argue... People that raise peafowl and turkeys say the exact same thing. I don't know much about diseases that quail can get, but *if* the reason quail aren't kept with chickens is blackhead (histomoniasis), like it is for peas and poults, one could treat a broody for it prior to hatching. Treatment is metronidazole at for five days and worming for the cecal worm with Safeguard or Valbazen. This is what I do when I have broody chickens raise my peas and poults. After treatment none are placed on the ground or brooders that have ever had chicken poop in them.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Not trying to argue... People that raise peafowl and turkeys say the exact same thing. I don't know much about diseases that quail can get, but *if* the reason quail aren't kept with chickens is blackhead (histomoniasis), like it is for peas and poults, one could treat a broody for it prior to hatching. Treatment is metronidazole at for five days and worming for the cecal worm with Safeguard or Valbazen. This is what I do when I have broody chickens raise my peas and poults. After treatment none are placed on the ground or brooders that have ever had chicken poop in them.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Disease aside, quail are basically wild and need to be completely enclosed. They will not come back when free ranging. You would have to never let the chickens out.

Quote:

I have 3 Old English Bantams, they vary greatly in size. Only 1 of them is small enough that I would attempt hatching under her. As the eggs develops the shells get more fragile, I'm afraid the 1 1/2 pound bantams would break them just sitting on them. Our smallest OEGB is just about a pound and she has a calm disposition so she wouldn't freak when working in her pen.
There are a few issues. One is chickens carry a lot of things that can kill game birds, so there is that. two, quail chicks don't seem to pay attention to chicken mothers and freeze.

I tried it with a Serema that only hatched one baby, and the quail chick refused to go under her and died. She accepted it fine, but no dice. I had them on wire so was not worried about poo.

People say they have used silkies to hatch quail, but i have never tried.

2 of my silkies decided to hide from there chicks behind the next boxes. they were missing last night and we searched for 2 hrs. Once all the chicks were out this morning, the realized they could not back out of the spot and started making noise to be rescued. Little buggers!

If anyone is interested I have a f2 oe rooster, a jubilee rooster, an ee rooster, and 2 showgirl roosters and a black silkie that are at rehome or eat stage ( well, showgirls are BQ, so they have some more time) . Also an OEGB pair. I cant bring myself to cull kazoo. :(
Also a young cream legbar boy ( newly abandoned by a silkie mum) and 3 F1 OE boys. I doubt anyone needs em, but its time to get the decibles down out there so I'm checking :).

The F2 OE boy is quite striking. Great muffs

Quote: Thanks, but what I'm looking for is data that shows what humidity level is lethal to them once they have pipped.

-Kathy
You could contact ozexpat for some anecdotal info. He is hatching eggs in the Philippines, and had to rig a dehumidifier to get successful hatches. Not sure if he's hatched many ducks.

My chicks from @Papa Brooder have shipped!!! I will be obsessively checking the tracking number all night ...
Me too!
ya.gif
Expecting two Orps (jubilee and cuckoo) and a Marans. What are you getting? Got to call the PO this morning!

:frow How have you been?
Good! Really busy! September was crazy for shipping in the good chick shipping weather haha! Chickens are molting and some are coming out of their molt so hopefully everyone will be back up and laying. I just got the lights put in the new chicken "condos" and hope that helps them as well.

Does anyone have any pinta pinas for sale? Pairs or trios? I'm thinking about getting some, I just love them! I want to slowly move out of the orpington craze, they're making me crazy!!

Good! Really busy! September was crazy for shipping in the good chick shipping weather haha! Chickens are molting and some are coming out of their molt so hopefully everyone will be back up and laying. I just got the lights put in the new chicken "condos" and hope that helps them as well.

Does anyone have any pinta pinas for sale? Pairs or trios? I'm thinking about getting some, I just love them! I want to slowly move out of the orpington craze, they're making me crazy!!
I don't have any Pita Pintas ready now. I am growing out for next year and planning to process some cockerels.

Next Spring I could meet you in Redding though.

Quote:
Peafowl, poults and quail have similar nutritional reqirements and I have not had any issues with the chicken broodies eating the higher protein feed. I have blackhead here, so my peas and poults raised by broodies stay off the ground until they're 3-4 months old, by then the hens are no longer interested, lol .

Quail under an indoor broody would be an interesting experiment... wish I had thought of that a few days ago as I have a small OEGB that's gone broody. Maybe I'll get a couple of quail chicks from Farmer's when hers chicks hatch?

-Kathy

I am so happy!

I am getting closer to getting the Arkansas Blue egg layers going again after they were messed up this year.

This pullet

laid and egg two days in a row. The first one was 48G
yesss.gif

Yesterdays egg was even bluer in color.

Back
Top Bottom