California - Northern

One of my peahens lays her eggs in their feed tray.

-Kathy
Silly Peahen, I'll send my Dominiques over to explain that the dust bath is the proper spot for egg laying.
roll.png

Jeff's (PapaBrooder) cuckoo orps are BIG.
Here's a pullet next to my standard bronze turkey.
I love standard bronze! Nice looking turkey. The chicken ain't too shabby either.

Have a chick that's not lookin so hot :( went to give the chicks more water and this one was laying on its back. I immediately had a flashback to trying to kill the dying baby Chocolate Orp a few days ago. I picked this one up...

You can imagine my relief when I set the chick down and it stood up.

I had my step dad hold the chick for me so I could force some water with Sav A Chick probiotic down it's throat. It actually was not that hard, as soon as it tasted water (the chicks had been out of water for a while) it opened it's mouth and started drinking, so I just put a few drops on the top of it's beak and they rolled into it's open mouth. I don't have any electrolytes, I thought I did but I guess not. Which sucks because I think electrolytes are probably what it really needs. Fingers crossed that it survives...not much else I can do at this point.

My dog is extremely concerned, she would not take her eyes off the chick.

Have a chick that's not lookin so hot
sad.png
went to give the chicks more water and this one was laying on its back. I immediately had a flashback to trying to kill the dying baby Chocolate Orp a few days ago. I picked this one up...

You can imagine my relief when I set the chick down and it stood up.

I had my step dad hold the chick for me so I could force some water with Sav A Chick probiotic down it's throat. It actually was not that hard, as soon as it tasted water (the chicks had been out of water for a while) it opened it's mouth and started drinking, so I just put a few drops on the top of it's beak and they rolled into it's open mouth. I don't have any electrolytes, I thought I did but I guess not. Which sucks because I think electrolytes are probably what it really needs. Fingers crossed that it survives...not much else I can do at this point.

My dog is extremely concerned, she would not take her eyes off the chick.
Look at you!

I see a real young farmer now!
thumbsup.gif

fl.gif
I hope the chick makes it and you are doing exactly the right thing with a perfect attitude.

Thanks Ron
smile.png
Now if I could cull chicks without turning into a blubbering baby I'd be set! Lol! I know that if I REALLY had to, I could do it. I was working up the courage to do it when I heard my neighbor pull into his driveway and my brain said, "OH THANK GOD" and all the courage I'd manage to muster up disappeared. But if I was home alone, nobody to help me, I could probably do it. I know I would have if my neighbor hadn't been able to do it, but it would have taken a while for me to just do it. When it comes down to it, if I have two options(a. let the chick have a slow death, let it suffer, or b. put it out of it's misery) I know the right thing to do is to just kill it, as hard as it may be.

I do love my chickens second only to my dog, I do everything I can to make sure they have good, happy lives. I know many people wouldn't go out of their way to try to save one of a large handful of chicks but I believe that every life matters.
smile.png

This came in an email today, in case anyone is interested:

Posted by: Hans Yao [email protected]
"
Im closing down a community farm egg laying project near Sacramento.
I have approximately 150 birds that I'm looking to sell.
Most are one year old (10/15/13) Belt hatchery birds:
Rhode Island Red
Golden sexlink
Barred Rock
Black australorp
I also have several six month old birds that I hatched from trader joes fertile eggs, believe it or not. They are california whites mostly but they lay a cream colored egg so I don't know what rooster, presumably, was used to make them fertile.
There's also a single silver laced Wyandotte in there.
The older birds are $10 the younger ones are $15 since they only just started laying eggs.
I also have a few Pekin layer ducks and drakes that are bound for my freezer but I might could be talked into selling for $15 each. I also have red bourbon Turkey toms and hens that should be ready for Christmas dinner- $40 and two that will be ready for thanksgiving - $60
For much of their lives they all ate King Freedom gmo free corn/soy free feed. Presently they are eating regular layer feed from Robinson feed in Lodi.
These birds were part of a community service project that I had to suspend because of my wife's treatment for cancer.
I'm motivated to dispose of the flock to have more time to care for my wife so I'll consider discounts for ten or more birds going at the same time.
Thanks for your time
Hans"

My pictures don't compare to Nikon's but I thought I'd share.

Barnevelder pullet stretching.

I'm very pleased with this years Barnevelder pullets. Their type and lacing are improving. I noticed some of the pullets have longer tails than my older hens. This pullet actually has her tail down in this picture, but it shows off her type well.

A younger pullet, but she is looking good.

Cross breed pullet. Multiple generation olive egger crossed to a barnevelder. She's pretty to look at and should be a good layer.

Oh bologna! I like your pics, and my chickens don't compare to yours!

Back
Top Bottom