California - Northern

No. They are special pets. Even my brother in law will drive 4 hours to care for them if we go somewhere. He loves our chickens too. If you could tell me the name of the Dixon feed store I will try them in the spring. I would like RIR's also. Thank you for your help.
The feed store in Dixon is Higby's. I ordered hatchery reds from them years ago and they let me get three. They get there chicks from Ideal hatchery in Texas.
You can check to see what they have from the website.

If you arrange with a feed store now, you should be able to get chicks in late January from them.

8machines - make sure you have a place to raise the chicks separately from the flock you have now until they are around 12 weeks old. If you don't have anywhere, you may want to get the pita pintas that pet rock has.

I am FURIOUS. I went outside before taking my new foster kitty to the vet because I needed to give my hens food and water. Saw more feathers than I've ever seen before, immediately started crying. Searched for survivors, found none. Kept searching, ended up finding the entire flock hiding behind my air conditioner, with Curly Sue laying in the middle of the yard, not moving. Scooped up the two hurt chickens and brought them with me to the vet. Charlotte has several wounds and is missing half her feathers. Curly Sue can barely walk. Vet cleaned the wounds and said it seems Curly Sue has either sprained or dislocated her hip. She is in shock, which is why she was laying on the ground not moving. She has not recovered from the shock at all. At this point, I think there is a 1% chance that she's going to survive the night. My yard is COVERED in feathers, my hens are stressed beyond belief, one is probably going to die, the other is hurting badly. There is a hole under my fence. The neighbors %*$(%&^ dog dug under my fence and tried to kill my girls. It came back to the fence when I was outside and I started screaming at it to come back over so that I could kick the life out of it. I am absolutely livid. We are going to talk to the neighbors and ask them to pay the $150 vet bill that we now have for my chickens. If they are rude, then I will simply tell them that the next time I catch their dog trespassing on my property, it will be taken to an animal shelter VERY far away where they will never find it again. The chickens are now locked up and will stay locked up in the secure coop/run. No more free ranging in my yard until we get this situation with the neighbors figured out. I love love love Curly Sue, she is one of the best decisions I ever made when it comes to chickens! And yet here I am watching her slowly die. I don't think she's going to recover. Please pray, send good thoughts, whatever. My life is crap right now, I don't know how I'm going to handle losing a chicken that has brought me so much joy. Here is Charlotte.
we feel your frustration, so sorry to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls through. Chickens are pretty resilient. Irresponsible owners are the worst. I would plan on catching the dog and taking to the pound. Unless the owners make a huge effort, it'll be back. Having one of your sweet favorites hurt like that is horrible

We lost our favorite chicken today due to an accident with our tractor. I cried and cried so hard. My husband buried her, he is also grieving. Things have happened to all of us here on BYC. That's having and loving our birds. I will have to have another two White Barred Rocks. My 3 black Australorp pullets are not friendly. I think it's better. I just wanted to make myself feel better and for those who have lost your chickens, my heart goes out to you today. Have a wonderful Christmas

Sorry for that, I hope your holidays are cheerful.

I am FURIOUS. I went outside before taking my new foster kitty to the vet because I needed to give my hens food and water. Saw more feathers than I've ever seen before, immediately started crying. Searched for survivors, found none. Kept searching, ended up finding the entire flock hiding behind my air conditioner, with Curly Sue laying in the middle of the yard, not moving. Scooped up the two hurt chickens and brought them with me to the vet. Charlotte has several wounds and is missing half her feathers. Curly Sue can barely walk.
Vet cleaned the wounds and said it seems Curly Sue has either sprained or dislocated her hip. She is in shock, which is why she was laying on the ground not moving. She has not recovered from the shock at all. At this point, I think there is a 1% chance that she's going to survive the night.
My yard is COVERED in feathers, my hens are stressed beyond belief, one is probably going to die, the other is hurting badly. There is a hole under my fence. The neighbors %*$(%&^ dog dug under my fence and tried to kill my girls. It came back to the fence when I was outside and I started screaming at it to come back over so that I could kick the life out of it. I am absolutely livid. We are going to talk to the neighbors and ask them to pay the $150 vet bill that we now have for my chickens. If they are rude, then I will simply tell them that the next time I catch their dog trespassing on my property, it will be taken to an animal shelter VERY far away where they will never find it again. The chickens are now locked up and will stay locked up in the secure coop/run. No more free ranging in my yard until we get this situation with the neighbors figured out. I love love love Curly Sue, she is one of the best decisions I ever made when it comes to chickens! And yet here I am watching her slowly die. I don't think she's going to recover. Please pray, send good thoughts, whatever. My life is crap right now, I don't know how I'm going to handle losing a chicken that has brought me so much joy.

Here is Charlotte.

Hi, I can appreciate how awful that was. I hope Curly Sue is showing some resilience. Charlotte looks like she should heal up okay. My flock suffered a coyote attack one year and my young rooster just about lost his back end. Fortunately his spine was not injured and although he had to be stitched back together, he healed up very well. It was traumatic for me, yet they seemed to recover their happy natures before too long. Best wishes for peace with your neighbor.

Last edited:
Oh man im sorry for the losses. Are you tubing curly sue so she roes mot get dehydratrd? And asprin for the swelling? My girls who got shaken took about 2 weeks to really control her muscles.

Im having to put a wry neck baby today qho had a sever reaction to her medication.its very hard and i feel for all your losses.

Sorry to hear about the accidents and attacks. Hope Curly Sue recovers!

I've been looking for rice hulls everywhere and keep getting told they're unobtainium because of the drought. But I found them at River Town in Petaluma yesterday (what an amazing feed store!). So just FYI for anyone looking for these.

Sorry to hear about the accidents and attacks. Hope Curly Sue recovers!

I've been looking for rice hulls everywhere and keep getting told they're unobtainium because of the drought. But I found them at River Town in Petaluma yesterday (what an amazing feed store!). So just FYI for anyone looking for these.

I remember when Rivertown was Bar Ale before they burnt down. They are a good feed store, and Don is a good guy. I've been going there for over 3 decades.

Hello B Collie,
Wow! You sure have had a wicked experience with the neighbor dog. Some years ago Sue and I had a similar experience with a numb to social graces, callous neighbor. I went to the local county courthouse and filed a suit in Small Claims Court. That might be an option if your neighbor is a recalcitrant cuss. We not only won but the judge seemed more than miffed and added damages on to the fines. To say I was astonished would be an understatement. Have not had any trouble from the neighbor since and that was about 18 years ago. I think presenting the court with photos and statements from another neighbor did the trick. My wife was a law librarian who said that judges generally love evidence - the more the better to a point. Even should the fence be your neighbor's you might take it upon yourself to reinforce it. Judges also like to see a citizen mitigate problems where possible. Since I am not an attorney and so cannot give legal advice you might want to run your circumstances past one. I can only relate what happened in my case. Then there is a book worth its weight in gold titled, believe it or not, Sue the Bast**ds. It is out of print but a local second hand bookstore can probably locate a copy for you at a very inexpensive cost.
As an animal physiologist and former vet tech, may I suggest you might ask your vet about a shot of a cortisone product for your precious bird, Curley Sue. This might well reduce the systemic shock and salvage the bird. I have seen it done a few times with all sorts of traumatized animals at the animal hospital where I worked, back in the stone age. Have as happy a Christmas as you can under the circumstances and let me know how everything turns out.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

Thank you so much everyone. Thank you Neal.
The neighbors are working to fix the fence and paid 80% of the vet bill. Curly Sue survived the night and hopefully will regain the ability to walk.
Thought today would be better because Curly survived the night, but nope...girlfriend's dog was diagnosed with terminal cancer today. He has a month or less to live. This month has just been absolutely horrible. I am hoping the worst is over for this month, for both my girlfriend and I. Please keep her in your thoughts, she is devastated.

Back
Top Bottom