California - Northern

Can someone (@fowlman01 ) explain why splash seems to get excluded from the SOP for multiple breeds? Is there a reason, or are people just not showing enough of them to get them recognized? It seems so odd considering they're a normal part of BBS colored breeds.

Very few breeds have people that are willing to go through the process to have splash recognized. Bantam Cochin and Modern Games were recently admitted in Splash but the APA does not automatically recognized a color even if it is around in numbers. The sponsors have to prove that the CONFORMATION is correct as well. Splash may be around, but it is not always on a body that the APA would consider good in the conformation area.

Walt

Hi lawatt and Alchemist farm! I am in Healdsburg! Are you going to the Spring Fling at SRJC's Shone Farm? If anyone on this thread is interested, this is what DVM Jessica Baldwin, one of our local "chicken" vets posted:
Shone Farm, SRJC- Sunday April 19th! Dr Dan [Famini] was trying for a Saturday, but they are pretty much all taken already.

Still settling on a time, but it will probably span lunch time again. BYO lunch or get something from the SRJC pizza oven, but probably a bring something to share dessert table open the whole time. Dan wants to decrease or put an end to lines of people waiting for food.

Tentative schedule will be a talk for all, then several smaller stations that people can go to in whatever order they want (eating happens during this time), then a second talk.

Ideas for stations Dr Dan and I talked about- necropsy, chicken first aid box, fecal (poop) lab, walk out the the SRJC demo broiler coop/run to look and discuss.

Other thought for stations? These would be set up as a table with someone at it like me or Dan ect with something to look at and talk about for about 10-15 people. We need some more ideas.

Other possibilities- basic anatomy & wing trim/nail trim- very basic stuff.

Static displays (no person standing there to explain) Dan's egg rainbow, I plan to set up a display of chicken edible garden weeds, repeat of egg contest for colors, spotted, biggest ect. Any more suggestions for displays?

One of the talks MIGHT be a retooled Dr Dan's talk on parasites he did at Frizelle-enos.

not sure of my schedule yet for April -- if i have the time, i'd love to go, but things might be too crazy with school!

Can someone ([@=/u/66947/fowlman01]@fowlman01[/@]) explain why splash seems to get excluded from the SOP for multiple breeds? Is there a reason, or are people just not showing enough of them to get them recognized? It seems so odd considering they're a normal part of BBS colored breeds.

Very few breeds have people that are willing to go through the process to have splash recognized. Bantam Cochin and Modern Games were recently admitted in Splash but the APA does not automatically recognized a color even if it is around in numbers. The sponsors have to prove that the CONFORMATION is correct as well. Splash may be around, but it is not always on a body that the APA would consider good in the conformation area.

Walt

Ok, thanks. So it's not that there's something inherently wrong with them (as there is with some colors of Great Dane). I'm really surprised by how much I like my splash Orp pullet. She's just a beautiful butterball of a chicken.

Walt

this is not an easy process either. Time patience money and breeders.

anyone have a dog run they want to sell?
I need a grow out run and had neck surgery and can not really build anything yet plus i am really wanting a mobile run

I hope that you find one!  I daily scour the Bay area craigslist looking for good deals on dog runs.  We recently found a 10 x 10 for $100 only to have the person decide to sell it to a neighbor after saying we could have it.  Arghhhhhh!  

I used to be in the dog show world, and we always ended up with 10X equipment and runs than we actually needed. More often than not, we sold extras through the dog club groups to other dog people. There are number of groups on FB where they advertise all sorts of dog related items as well as kennel panels, and Xpens.

Usually the groups are breed specific, but, I believe there are some regional all breed ones as well. I am in my own breed's group, and regularly see adds, or posts looking for certain items. Please try out FB where you might find the panels you are looking for.

Lual

Congrats on all the spring chicks everyone:) such cute babies! I need to get some more pictures of my chicks. They grow up so fast. So far this year, I've hatched around 70 chicks. The oldest are 5 weeks old and I just sorted them today. I'm keeping 10 cockerels and 13 pullets to grow out more. I have 40 chicks in the brooder that hatched last week. I also have another 44 eggs in the incubator due to hatch the 25th:)

This spring like weather has made it easy to get a head start on hatching this year. Though I do wish we would get some more rain. I had to turn on the irrigation system for the trees and also hand water the potatoes, onions and garlic in the garden.

Nectarine trees

Flock enjoying the sunshine

pullets

Some of the new chicks

Isn't it great the effect we can have? We don't even know how we touch a child's or student's life until much later. I gave up teaching elementary school sixteen years ago, but still jump at opportunities to mentor college students when I can now! Once a teacher, always a teacher, whether you are a 4-H leader, Girl/boy Scout leader, French club mentor, FFA leader, soccer coach... It is a cool feeling to work with students of any age that have minds open to learning. I feel strongly that life-long learners have a richer, more interesting life right to the end.

I agree with the great joy of teaching. I was a 4H leader for 11 years and now my grown daughter is for the same 4H groups. I am always running into my 4H kids, all grown up now & my daughter even has some of my 4H kids children I her group now.....and life goes on.

Congrats on all the spring chicks everyone:) such cute babies! I need to get some more pictures of my chicks. They grow up so fast. So far this year, I've hatched around 70 chicks. The oldest are 5 weeks old and I just sorted them today. I'm keeping 10 cockerels and 13 pullets to grow out more. I have 40 chicks in the brooder that hatched last week. I also have another 44 eggs in the incubator due to hatch the 25th:)

This spring like weather has made it easy to get a head start on hatching this year. Though I do wish we would get some more rain. I had to turn on the irrigation system for the trees and also hand water the potatoes, onions and garlic in the garden.

Nectarine trees

Flock enjoying the sunshine

pullets

Some of the new chicks

so so gorgeous!! you have the loveliest birds...

Back
Top Bottom