California - Northern

I'm part of the Easter hatch-a-long but so overwhelmed by how fast the thread moves. Thought I'd ask my questions here. My eggs are from @chrissyr . Someone said to weigh eggs if too dark to candle. I don't have one. What if I just don't bother, unless one starts to stink?

If you don't get a hatch after the 23rd or 24th day and don't hear chirping it should be safe to say the egg was infertile and toss it.

I am utterly in love with Gamebirds for their intelligence, beauty, and idiosyncrasies. If I was allowed to have only 1 breed, it would be Gamebird. I don't believe any adult Gamebird cock can be trusted with each other, not even for a minute
1f60a.png
and same is true for the stags (cockerels) after a certain age which can vary from couple of weeks old to couple of months old, then they must be seperated. I am able to keep my Ko stags together for the first 3 mos. or so, and at the first sign they must be separated entirely. I remember my very first experience with 3 clutch brothers who loved and adored each other, and when I wanted to hold one, had to take all three for they cried for each other. Then, when they were 3 mos. old, on a beautiful spring morning a very serious and dangerous 3 way fight broke out, and thank God I was in the same room when it happened. If I was not, one, or perhaps all 3 would have been dead.

Ko hens do get along with each other if the introduction to each other is well planned and slow. I usually give them at least a month to get to know each other through adjacent cages. My Ko cockbirds has a harem of 3-5 hens, where they do everything together, including incubating eggs, rasing their chicks, and are excellent devoted parents. But, it is important to have enough chicks for adults to share. Having only 2-3 chicks for 6 adults never worked for me. Usually, one parent will try to claim all the babies....and ofcourse...there goes a fight over child custody...not a pretty sight...

Gamebirds are endless joy, who are very affectionate, and gentle with their owners. Well, that is a very good thing specially with the large breeds because 10-12 pounds of pure muscle and bones coming at you would definitely not be a good experience. Ohhh I love and adore Gamebirds
1f600.png

Lual

5 mos. old Ko Shamo stag and pullet. Walt Leonard/ Fowlman01, birds.

Gorgeous birds! Good to hear feedback from people who have Shamo. I understand the Aseel (Asil?) hens are nice friendly pets too but because of their tallness may not be good around toddlers, small children. In any event we bypassed Game Birds because of their low productivity and "iffy" gentleness around our other gentle breeds. It was difficult enough to part with our dual purpose heritage breeds because we were attached to them but for the sake of peace we decided on keeping just the gentlest of breeds. We were pleasantly surprised that our gentle Ameraucana was not only sweet but a terrific egg layer as well. It's one of the reasons we ordered a 2nd Ameraucana this year -- very nurturing and kind to their flockmates. We've never had a Breda before so we're hoping the one on order will be a gentle soul as well to add to our backyard flock. Then we'll be maxxed out at our allowed 5 hens.

I'm part of the Easter hatch-a-long but so overwhelmed by how fast the thread moves. Thought I'd ask my questions here. My eggs are from @chrissyr . Someone said to weigh eggs if too dark to candle. I don't have one. What if I just don't bother, unless one starts to stink?
You candle or weight to adjust the humidity for a better hatch. Marans eggs do better if the chicks stay "on the curve" and loose 3% a week. Not doing it just means you can't adjust the humidity for those eggs. They are unlikey in the extreme to assplode on ya ;).
Only neighbors I wasn't sure would be ok with the crowing stopped me this morning to say how much they like it! W00T!!!
Huzzah!! I have 6 extra boys right now. The alum rock boys choir is in full swing. Bass soptano alto... we have it!
If you don't get a hatch after the 23rd or 24th day and don't hear chirping it should be safe to say the egg was infertile and toss it.
Not to be picky but this is a pet peeve. Not developed does not mean infertile. Many thing can happen especially with shipped eggs that cause the embryo not to attach . As a breeder who ships eggs calling them infertil drives me batty. You are all nice people so i can complain about it here lol.

Not to be picky but this is a pet peeve. Not developed does not mean infertile. Many thing can happen especially with shipped eggs that cause the embryo not to attach . As a breeder who ships eggs calling them infertil drives me batty. You are all nice people so i can complain about it here lol.
Sorry about using the wrong terminology chiqita and I stand corrected - Smiles
smile.png

Sorry about using the wrong terminology chiqita and I stand corrected - Smiles
smile.png
ZOMG my stupid phone keeps eating the replies.

Wasn't directed at you I just needed to rant, and you were kind enough to let me . Now I can be polite to people again, lol. hatching season involves a bit of teeth grinding on my end, ha!

Not that we don't fight the good fight with the post office over hatchability. One does everything they can to keep the egg from getting too shaken to hatch. But that does not mean the trucks carrying eggs don't win the battle more often then id like, heh.

I've got rocking in two of my Marans eggs in my Genesis 1588! I'v never seen that before...Although normally I use a broody hen! I guess I could put the next broody on a clear piece of plexiglass to watch from underneath....
lol.png

Anyway, this is exciting!!!

I've got rocking in two of my Marans eggs in my Genesis 1588! I'v never seen that before...Although normally I use a broody hen! I guess I could put the next broody on a clear piece of plexiglass to watch from underneath....
lol.png

Anyway, this is exciting!!!

very exciting!

just in case there is someone here interested, I am looking for a new home for my spare birchen marans rooster -- he's a little over a year old and very sweet and good-tempered:

please PM me if you are interested!

ZOMG my stupid phone keeps eating the replies.

Wasn't directed at you I just needed to rant, and you were kind enough to let me . Now I can be polite to people again, lol. hatching season involves a bit of teeth grinding on my end, ha!

Not that we don't fight the good fight with the post office over hatchability. One does everything they can to keep the egg from getting too shaken to hatch. But that does not mean the trucks carrying eggs don't win the battle more often then id like, heh.

Because of zoning and lack of space and not having an outlet for unwanted cockerels I've resorted to ordering 2-3 mo old juvies for my chickens. I order the juvies 2 at a time so they have a companion on the USPS trip. I've ordered from the East Coast VT to me on the West Coast CA and the juvies have always arrived safely. However I notify my delivery drivers on the mail route a couple days in advance to be sure to CALL me for live bird pickup. USPS per their own policy is supposed to call for pickup but there was the first time my poor juvies were riding around in a hot mail truck before I ranted at the P.O. to have the driver deliver the birds IMMEDIATELY! Haven't had any other problems w/ USPS after that first fiasco!

But I agree w/you re hatching eggs or even chicks. Can't always be certain the USPS will be humane or careful. Order furniture sometime and see what condition the packaging arrives from ANY delivery service! Private shipping companies seem better than the popular public delivery services as far as being careful. Unfortunately with live poultry shipments we're at the mercy of the inept USPS who contracts to use FedEx exclusively for air shipping.

Ok, people, i have a problem. Someone picked up a cochin chick from me ( 1.5 to 2 weeks) and it ate something that's not passing.

I'm guessing pine shavings.

I could give advice on an adult, but not sure on a 2 week old chick? She getting grit for it ( it only had a little acess to play sand , not sure if it got any for digesting or not) anything else thats safe? Im not sure what to recomend....

Back
Top Bottom