California - Northern

OK, after candling and float testing, I'm down to 4 that I don't have much hope for (none actually moved in the water).

Ron sent 11. The PO broke one. One egg got broken in the nest when someone added her own egg. One egg was eaten by the dog. Another was stolen but not eaten--but was seeping a couple days later. That left me 7 for lock down. Tonight, I discovered that the paper carton was stuck to the eggs (it had gotten wet when I added water for lock down). One egg broke when I tried to gently remove it. It broke rather loudly--my husband asked if I was OK. Luckily, it didn't stink. One egg floated very high and had evidence of seeping on the bottom. Another had some yolk on the bottom, but it could've been from a neighbor--except I checked again after I dried it following the float test, and there was fresh yolk, so away it went, as well.

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone! :)

@Audio51 I'm pretty sure that's the cutest thing I've ever seen. Definitely in the top 10. :) I'm also swooning over your hen, is that an Orpington? Or a Wyandotte? It's so fluffy!!! I have a little blue orpington who sadly I think is a male. It's only sad because I can't keep roos, and I am desperate for a blue orpington (and a lavender). He is only 3 weeks, and I realize that is early, but either he's a male or it's a female with about 17 copies of the slow feathering gene.
roll.png

@Chrysolinsbirds how fun that our kids are about the same age! It's not every day that you meet others with their own little herds of children. :)

She is a Feed Store Blue Wyandotte and is the best broody ever! You never know on the sex...some of them can fool you for a while! That is pretty young so you might get lucky...
fl.gif

Here is my suspect blue orp. He is 3 weeks old, and is huge. He looks like a monster sized 3 day old chick, lol! His name is Frank, and naturally, he is everyone's favorite. Sigh. Anyone ever have a late blooming orpington that ended up being a girl?

I also have a very suspect light brahma. Sigh.
Posture on the bottom on looks very cockerel-ish, but the comb on the first one looks like a pullet!

Just getting into chickens, husband finally gave in. We now have 24 chicks age range 3 weeks - 8 weeks, buff Wyandotte, buff cochin (cockerel), barred rock, EE, RIR, New Hampshire. My daughter loves then so much she wants to show poultry for 4H. So now need to get some show quality birds for her.

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start!
Mama tolbunt polish taking her 10 seramas for a walk - not sure what flared mama

Mama Modern game & her 13 silkies (9 are showgirls)

Bantam Easter egger mama & her 14 (3 OEs, 4 Ams, 4 d'anvers, & 3 silkies)

Love all the broodies with chicks pictures!!!!
love.gif

OK, after candling and float testing, I'm down to 4 that I don't have much hope for (none actually moved in the water).

Ron sent 11. The PO broke one. One egg got broken in the nest when someone added her own egg. One egg was eaten by the dog. Another was stolen but not eaten--but was seeping a couple days later. That left me 7 for lock down. Tonight, I discovered that the paper carton was stuck to the eggs (it had gotten wet when I added water for lock down). One egg broke when I tried to gently remove it. It broke rather loudly--my husband asked if I was OK. Luckily, it didn't stink. One egg floated very high and had evidence of seeping on the bottom. An

Fingers crossed you get at least 1!

Last edited:
Just getting into chickens, husband finally gave in. We now have 24 chicks age range 3 weeks - 8 weeks, buff Wyandotte, buff cochin (cockerel), barred rock, EE, RIR, New Hampshire. My daughter loves then so much she wants to show poultry for 4H. So now need to get some show quality birds for her.
Welcome to the best thread ever! What type of chickens are you looking for?

I would suspect parasites so treat for Mite, lice and worms. Also consider cocci--Some Cream Legbars seem prone to it and although it will not kill them it will mess up vigor. A one tsp per gallon for three days once a month should do it. corid will not need a with draw period either.
Thank you Ron.

I read this and was surprised at myself for not considering parasites a possibility. Thank you for the ideas! I did not know about the sensitivity to cocci. Planning to do all the less intense healing methods before trying a de-wormer.

In the fall we get a truckload of pumpkins from a family after they are done decorating with them. This year we had an entire long bed pick-up full to the top with whole (not rotten) pumpkins. We fed pumpkin to our chickens for 2 months! It is hard to imagine them having worms.

Thanks again!

Thank you Ron.

I read this and was surprised at myself for not considering parasites a possibility. Thank you for the ideas! I did not know about the sensitivity to cocci. Planning to do all the less intense healing methods before trying a de-wormer.

In the fall we get a truckload of pumpkins from a family after they are done decorating with them. This year we had an entire long bed pick-up full to the top with whole (not rotten) pumpkins. We fed pumpkin to our chickens for 2 months! It is hard to imagine them having worms.

Thanks again!
Shhhh do not tell the folks with Cream Legbares....during the first year after they were imported, up to half of them died....many from cocci....It is a common problem with imports since they are not used to the buggies in the new place.....Ok back to regular post.......

I do have to add that pumpkin seeds will not kill worms. You really need to use a worm killer for that.

Send off a sample for testing.

If you have not ever wormed them, they have a very high chance of having worms. Anything that has contact with dirt will be exposed to worms. It is recommended that pullets be wormed before they lay their first egg because the worm load is worse for young pullets and can mess up egg laying.

Welcome to the best thread ever! What type of chickens are you looking for?

I would like some black copper Marans, since I heard they are gentle for showing. I know there is lady called deb birds near by that breeds them, but I haven't been able to get a hold of her, and she is sold out until summer according to her website. I figured when we get closer to September I will talk to the poultry leader again. I am just not sure how soon my daughter would need her chicks to be ready to show.

I would like some black copper Marans, since I heard they are gentle for showing. I know there is lady called deb birds near by that breeds them, but I haven't been able to get a hold of her, and she is sold out until summer according to her website. I figured when we get closer to September I will talk to the poultry leader again. I am just not sure how soon my daughter would need her chicks to be ready to show.

Most 4H poultry showing is during the summer at fairs.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom