California - Northern

Oh, could it be true? My baby pteradactyl, Igor, is a FRIZZLED stripper (non-neared naked neck silkie)?

Anyone using the Brinsea auto-turn cradle that has had issues with it?

I heard it "clicking" for a few minutes when it got to the full tilt last night. I keep it in my office with the door closed most of the time so I haven't heard that before; last night the door was left open by accident.
My last hatch was awful - 7 out of 21 local eggs. Temp & humidity seemed steady thru out. Temp was measured with a Spot check
I'm running another hatch for someone and a quick candling yesterday on day 7 showed several blood rings and multiple clears with only a few showing good veining.
Both sets came from local people who had good hatches themselves.

Any ideas?
I'm on my first hatch with one I purchased off craigslist. Mine clicks but I don't remember at what stage of turning that it makes the noise. I am at day 20 so the incubator is off the turner. I did have problems with the incubator staying on the turner. It's like the arms are stretched out or something. When I was running it empty and trying to adjust the temps, it even fell off one end a couple of times. I have been careful to check it every day and push in both ends at the same time. With all the temp issues, needing to replace the liquid thermometer, and the turner problems, I think now that I should have just forked out the extra money and purchased a new one. I have 7 Pita Pinta eggs in it and I'm hoping that most of them hatch!

Quote:
Thank you! They are adorable!
Quote:
I am glad to have seen the Blue Hatching chart or I would have been expecting a mix. Never would have expect only blues when neither parent is blue. It took me a few years to get the hang of Gouldian Genetics, but I am doing the actually breeding on the chickens so can only guess on the parents most of the time.
Quote: Good info! I will have to get some and start using it on mine.

Oh, could it be true? My baby pteradactyl, Igor, is a FRIZZLED stripper (non-neared naked neck silkie)?
What a beauty!

Quote: I have not hatched in mine yet and don't plan too. I move mine to a hatcher and even then there is soooo much fuzz everywhere. I have to take them apart to clean but the Hovabator 1588 is pretty easy to do that with. I think I remember Ron saying it was not as easy with the Brinsea. I am using mine for duck eggs for my friend right now because I can lay them on their sides and keep the humidity higher easier now that I have the humidity pump.

I have not hatched in mine yet and don't plan too. I move mine to a hatcher and even then there is soooo much fuzz everywhere. I have to take them apart to clean but the Hovabator 1588 is pretty easy to do that with. I think I remember Ron saying it was not as easy with the Brinsea. I am using mine for duck eggs for my friend right now because I can lay them on their sides and keep the humidity higher easier now that I have the humidity pump.
I am having problems with my Genesis 1588 after 2 seasons of depending on it. The built in thermometer is off. It has always been spot on so this year, I made the mistake of trusting it and not checking it with a thermometer that reads tenths of a degree. In the process of trying to get this new to me Brinsea adjusted, I purchased a Brinsea Spot Check. Just because, I put it in the Hovabator to check it. The digital read out shows a temp 1-1.2 degrees higher than the Spot Check reads. So the temp at egg height has been under 99 degrees. I don't know if this is a recent happening but I have had a problem this season with chicks almost fully developing and not hatching and also with ones that pip and don't hatch. I incubate in my cabinet hatcher then hatch in my Genesis. It is also not letting me adjust the temp at all. It's frustrating! I pulled out my Hovabator 1602 with installed fan and switched the top since I set eggs in it that are due to hatch tomorrow. At least, I can adjust the temp on it.

I am having problems with my Genesis 1588 after 2 seasons of depending on it. The built in thermometer is off. It has always been spot on so this year, I made the mistake of trusting it and not checking it with a thermometer that reads tenths of a degree. In the process of trying to get this new to me Brinsea adjusted, I purchased a Brinsea Spot Check. Just because, I put it in the Hovabator to check it. The digital read out shows a temp 1-1.2 degrees higher than the Spot Check reads. So the temp at egg height has been under 99 degrees. I don't know if this is a recent happening but I have had a problem this season with chicks almost fully developing and not hatching and also with ones that pip and don't hatch. I incubate in my cabinet hatcher then hatch in my Genesis. It is also not letting me adjust the temp at all. It's frustrating! I pulled out my Hovabator 1602 with installed fan and switched the top since I set eggs in it that are due to hatch tomorrow. At least, I can adjust the temp on it.
Contact GQF--they have a mail in to calibrate service for the digital display Genesis 1588's.

You can get a new auto mechanism from Brinsea for the octagon too.

Keep us updated! I'm totally curious now.
me too!

Thank you! They are adorable!

I am glad to have seen the Blue Hatching chart or I would have been expecting a mix. Never would have expect only blues when neither parent is blue. It took me a few years to get the hang of Gouldian Genetics, but I am doing the actually breeding on the chickens so can only guess on the parents most of the time.
Good info! I will have to get some and start using it on mine.

What a beauty!

I have not hatched in mine yet and don't plan too. I move mine to a hatcher and even then there is soooo much fuzz everywhere. I have to take them apart to clean but the Hovabator 1588 is pretty easy to do that with. I think I remember Ron saying it was not as easy with the Brinsea. I am using mine for duck eggs for my friend right now because I can lay them on their sides and keep the humidity higher easier now that I have the humidity pump.
So @ronott1 uses a HB 1588 to hatch? Does it work well? I have lovely wooden cabinet incubator and am using the hatching tray. I'm considering NOT because it is SOOOOO hard to clean the back of the incubator!

I've wondered many times if the Brinsea thermometer was worth the price. Thinking I may have to make that this year's investment.
Editing this to say that I looked up the Brinsea thermometers and they are not expensive. I must have added a zero in my head somewhere along the line. Probably a wise choice to just get one now!

Last edited:
me too!

So @ronott1 uses a HB 1588 to hatch? Does it work well? I have lovely wooden cabinet incubator and am using the hatching tray. I'm considering NOT because it is SOOOOO hard to clean the back of the incubator!

I've wondered many times if the Brinsea thermometer was worth the price. Thinking I may have to make that this year's investment.
Editing this to say that I looked up the Brinsea thermometers and they are not expensive. I must have added a zero in my head somewhere along the line. Probably a wise choice to just get one now!
I have a brinsea octagon 40 advance ex with the humidity pump and two genesis 1588s. I try to keep one of the Geneses 1588s open for hatching but sometimes incubate in all three and then set for hatching.

The Genesis 1588s are very easy to clean. The octagon has a lot of small plastic passages in the top that require screws to be removed to get to some places.

I am about to pop a bunch of eggs into the incubator since I have a lot of hatching eggs going unclaimed--Olive egger crosses and Pita Pinta.

I have a brinsea octagon 40 advance ex with the humidity pump and two genesis 1588s. I try to keep one of the Geneses 1588s open for hatching but sometimes incubate in all three and then set for hatching.

The Genesis 1588s are very easy to clean. The octagon has a lot of small plastic passages in the top that require screws to be removed to get to some places.

I am about to pop a bunch of eggs into the incubator since I have a lot of hatching eggs going unclaimed--Olive egger crosses and Pita Pinta.
Ark Blues Pitas please
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom