California - Northern

I had that happen right before one of the short dowels broke.
I found pure silicone lubricant at an auto parts store and have been generously applying it to the dowels and the gears before each batch.
Thank you! I had read about the dowels breaking but didn't make the connection with the sound I was hearing.

Mine was no longer turning on its own so I was manually moving it back & forth throughout the day. It turned out to be a missing screw & was an easy fix for my son to do for me. I guess I never noticed when the screw worked its way out of the end of the arm. Everything is plastic these days.
Mine is still turning for the moment - something else to check though. Thank you!

I am having problems with my Genesis 1588 after 2 seasons of depending on it. The built in thermometer is off. It has always been spot on so this year, I made the mistake of trusting it and not checking it with a thermometer that reads tenths of a degree. In the process of trying to get this new to me Brinsea adjusted, I purchased a Brinsea Spot Check. Just because, I put it in the Hovabator to check it. The digital read out shows a temp 1-1.2 degrees higher than the Spot Check reads. So the temp at egg height has been under 99 degrees. I don't know if this is a recent happening but I have had a problem this season with chicks almost fully developing and not hatching and also with ones that pip and don't hatch. I incubate in my cabinet hatcher then hatch in my Genesis. It is also not letting me adjust the temp at all. It's frustrating! I pulled out my Hovabator 1602 with installed fan and switched the top since I set eggs in it that are due to hatch tomorrow. At least, I can adjust the temp on it.
I've been thinking about getting a 1588 for incubating and using the Brinsea as a hatcher. How do you like the 1602 with fan?

Contact GQF--they have a mail in to calibrate service for the digital display Genesis 1588's.

You can get a new auto mechanism from Brinsea for the octagon too.
Are you talking a new turner motor for the Brinsea or?

Thank you! I had read about the dowels breaking but didn't make the connection with the sound I was hearing.

Mine is still turning for the moment - something else to check though. Thank you!

I've been thinking about getting a 1588 for incubating and using the Brinsea as a hatcher. How do you like the 1602 with fan?

Are you talking a new turner motor for the Brinsea or?
They sent me the motor and gear assembly for the turner. It screws onto the cradle and is an easy fix. Both times the replacement was under warranty since they have a two year warranty.

Last edited:
Ark Blues Pitas please
hide.gif
They are Ark blues x partridge Pene.

I have 4 Pita pintas that hatched yesterday for you.

They sent me the motor and gear assembly for the turner. It screws onto the cradle and is an easy fix. Both times the replacement was under warranty since they have a two year warranty.
Yea!! I'll call them - the turner is just under a year so the warrenty is good.

Quote:
"How did these miracle chickens taste? No one knows. The judges didn’t measure flavour."

ARGH!!!! And there you have it, in a nutshell, EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern factory farming. Also, this may explain why some local free-range (non CornishX) birds *do* in fact taste better.

Last edited:
I just got a dozen of hatching eggs in the mail, and after candling them, I am wondering what a detached air cell looks like. I think there may be two eggs with that problem.
I just set them this afternoon. I read online that it is best to keep the \eggs with rolling air cells stationary during incubation, so I have those two in a piece of egg carton, standing upright. I'm going to manually "spin" them 3 times a day.
The rest of the eggs have really wonky "saddle shaped" air cells. I will be incubating them normally (on the turner), but try to keep the humidity down lower to make sure the air cells don't expand more than needed.

Am I doing everything right?

I just set them this afternoon. I read online that it is best to keep the \eggs with rolling air cells stationary during incubation, so I have those two in a piece of egg carton, standing upright. I'm going to manually "spin" them 3 times a day.
The rest of the eggs have really wonky "saddle shaped" air cells. I will be incubating them normally (on the turner), but try to keep the humidity down lower to make sure the air cells don't expand more than needed.

Am I doing everything right?
Yes, you are doing the right things.

Hopefully one of the two eggs with detached air cells will hatch for you.

fl.gif

Last edited:
"How did these miracle chickens taste? No one knows. The judges didn’t measure flavour."

ARGH!!!! And there you have it, in a nutshell, EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern factory farming. Also, this may explain why some local free-range (non CornishX) birds *do* in fact taste better.
Pita Pintas taste great

Back
Top Bottom