California - Northern

Two turkey out . . Can I say " it's a miracle"!!!!!!! Three more pipped. I hate opening the bater especially with how high they need the humidity but they are soccer playing MONSTER'S! This is soooo much fun. Turkey from shipped eggs at 6500 ft elevation. I'm blessed blessed blessed to have a chance at bourbon reds in my backyard .

Question about Mauve Orpingtons.

A few days back I posted a picture of chicks I hatched for a friend. Parents were black rooster over splash hens. Some suggested the rooster may be split to chocolate and the light colored chicks in the hatch may be mauves. I have been trying to find info on them and I am seeing a lot of people mentioning "sex-linked". If these are mauves and the rooster is split to chocolate, would these mauve chicks all be pullets?

Edited to add: I also found a link to this "Chicken Calculator" online and wonder what you knowledgeable genetics people thought of it. I looks a bit complicated to use and is in several languages but might only look complicated because I know nothing about chicken genetics..

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
I've played with it a bit, still trying to figure out a lot but it's fun.

HighStreetCoop has the correct answer about the splits - Please keep us posted as they grow out; I'm very curious.

That definitely seems to be the case here!
Woot! Hope the little one makes it.

Two turkey out . . Can I say " it's a miracle"!!!!!!! Three more pipped. I hate opening the bater especially with how high they need the humidity but they are soccer playing MONSTER'S! This is soooo much fun. Turkey from shipped eggs at 6500 ft elevation. I'm blessed blessed blessed to have a chance at bourbon reds in my backyard .
Congrats! We, of course, need pictures.

Very cool!

My 5 broody hen raised and now free ranging cornish are looking almost ready to process.

Quote:
Waaah Hoooo!!!! I am making her give me some of the mauves so know they are likely pullets makes it even better! I have another batch hatching now so will likely take a couple form that batch so they are the same age as the ones the broody is hatching..
That is amazing! Great job!

Quote: Thanks for confirming that. It will be fun to see them grow

The little Lazarus seems to be doing VERY well!!!

My 5 broody hen raised and now free ranging cornish are looking almost ready to process.

Just watch those combs. If they start to turn a little blue, get them processed. I have had 2 that died within 48 hours of the blue showing up from CHF

Bourbon red turkey in with the week old pp cross.

Adorable!

The chicks moved into their larger quarters today. I would've moved them earlier this week, but my kindergartener got permission to bring them in for show-and-tell today, and I figured just carrying the bin in would be easier than trying to catch them!

They're two weeks old. The BRs are both girls, right? The others are RSL, so I'm not worried about them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom