California - Northern

I fink know what breeds yet. I like the two polish I have but prob jus because they look so crazy. Not sure if they are very hardy. I like the Cochins but it gets so hot here in Stockton in the summer I don't know if they would survive. I keep my dogs in air conditioning but I am doing that with my chickens.

What are these Pita Pintas? I looked under breeds here and didn't see one listed. Can someone offer up a photo. I'm fairly new to birdland and have books but this breed not shown there either. Curious. I'd love to have an EE, but there were none offered around here as pullets this Spring. Now I'm not up to going through the quarantines and acceptance phases of my flock to introduce a new one as the small flock of 7 is still enough for us at this time. I'm trying to learn as much as possible from all your posts but I still have a hard time with the abbreviations too:) Enjoy reading all the posts:)

What are these Pita Pintas? I looked under breeds here and didn't see one listed. Can someone offer up a photo. I'm fairly new to birdland and have books but this breed not shown there either. Curious. I'd love to have an EE, but there were none offered around here as pullets this Spring. Now I'm not up to going through the quarantines and acceptance phases of my flock to introduce a new one as the small flock of 7 is still enough for us at this time. I'm trying to learn as much as possible from all your posts but I still have a hard time with the abbreviations too:) Enjoy reading all the posts:)
Pita Pinta chickens are from Asturias Spain. The black mottled version is here now.

Last edited:
The CAHFS newsletter for june was released today.

Chicks died of yolk sac infections.

Turkeys died from hemorrhagic enteritis virus

A Duck died of aspergillosis

Thank you for the history and pix. They are really lovely birds. What kind of temperament do they have? The chicks are adorably cute.Amazing how the colors progress as they age:)
They have some of the best temperament around. Generally friendly, calm and fairly quiet by and large.

I'm sorry to tell you all that I lost my beautiful splash orpington hen, Willow, sometime between roost-check last night & 10am this morning. I found her on the floor of the coop under the roosts. The coop bedding was still warm underneath her. At first I thought she fell strangely & broke her neck in the fall but in checking her, I don't think so. She had shown no symptoms of any problems previously. I am totally at a loss.

Ron (@ronott1 ) was nice enough to provide me with the details of how to prepare/preserve her & where to drop her off at UC Davis. It was so simple & quick. I'll have results in 7-10 working days. I'm hoping it's unique to her as I have a coop full of littles that I hope to find new homes for.

The good news, though, is that I found 2 new peepers hatched in the incubator (OEGBs, crele x fawn). So tiny! One more egg to go due on Friday...

Oh, man. I'm so sorry.

I'm sorry to tell you all that I lost my beautiful splash orpington hen, Willow, sometime between roost-check last night & 10am this morning. I found her on the floor of the coop under the roosts. The coop bedding was still warm underneath her. At first I thought she fell strangely & broke her neck in the fall but in checking her, I don't think so. She had shown no symptoms of any problems previously. I am totally at a loss.

Ron (@ronott1 ) was nice enough to provide me with the details of how to prepare/preserve her & where to drop her off at UC Davis. It was so simple & quick. I'll have results in 7-10 working days. I'm hoping it's unique to her as I have a coop full of littles that I hope to find new homes for.

The good news, though, is that I found 2 new peepers hatched in the incubator (OEGBs, crele x fawn). So tiny! One more egg to go due on Friday...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!
hugs.gif
I hope the tests come back with something benign.

And congrats on your chicks!

Hm, I think my Barred Rock pullets may be Black Sex Link cockerals, instead. They will be 5 weeks old this week. (Close photos of one only, but they're identical development-wise.)
both boys and girls get combs early on PBR. Are the legs greyish one person I know says the pullets legs are more grey tinged when young I think this is true because Ive been observing some 12 weeks olds from a straight run lot.

both boys and girls get combs early on PBR. Are the legs greyish one person I know says the pullets legs are more grey tinged when young  I think this is true because Ive been observing some 12 weeks olds from a straight run lot.

Look very similar to what I believe was a cuckoo maran. Picture attached

Back
Top Bottom