California - Northern

Well guys, I'm not going to read through all 62000+ posts on this thread to find someone near me (haha, sorry folks!) so I'll just a ask!!
Butte County anyone?? Would love to possibly chat and check out your flock or do some trades if we have stuff or birds that the other is looking for!
welcome-byc.gif

And the Northern California Thread!

There are several in the Butte County area.

If she was in with a male with spurs holes and wounds can occur during mating.

Walt

Thank all of you about our Penny. And we just have 1 rooster which is a Frizzle. I've no idea if he has spurs or not really. We've lost 3 hens since we started this little venture this Spring-all for different reasons. They were all laying pullets when we bought them.We are now down to just 5 hens and our roo. I wasn't going to buy more but Michael says he'd like 2 more hens, so now to find the breeds I want locally.Penny had a RIRX friend we both at the same time who passed a month or so about. Her vent was wide open when she died, we knew it had something to do with that. We really aren't ones to have necropsies done bc they are just for eggs and food even though I'm quite fond of them all.i could get more RIRX from the same breeder but not too sure that I want to now . I'd like a BO, EE or another Americauna, so we shall see who has what around here:)

I'll have a RIR, several dif color Wyandottes, & maybe one EE that all needs homes in a couple months. They're free to anyone that wants them (8 days old now).

103 on my patio =/ I have the sprinklers on low to combat the heat and make cool puddles to stand in and lots of temporary shade awnings up.. going back out to check on my peeps in a couple hours, but so far they seem to be handling it, switched up my routine (they are upset with me) watering 2+ times a day and moved chow time to the evenings. I have not lost any more peeps to the heat but I did lose a blue velvet mini rex =( cause someone turned of the mister in 100+ degree weather. I shouldn't have to worry about sabatoge and the heat=/ I am sure that they thought they were helping me but I can't get mad when I'm always telling them to conserve water.

That's so sad. I am sorry you lost the rex. My daughter finally got the ok to select a breed of rabbit and the biggest warning we are getting is the heat over the cold. So for us that's not so daunting since cold us our larger climate extreme. I hope whoever shut off the mist isn't to hard on themselves.

That's so sad. I am sorry you lost the rex. My daughter finally got the ok to select a breed of rabbit and the biggest warning we are getting is the heat over the cold. So for us that's not so daunting since cold us our larger climate extreme. I hope whoever shut off the mist isn't to hard on themselves.

Yup the heat is a killer and there are only so many ways to deal with it =/ I have my set up in an extra ventilated shed with sprinklers I've only lost the one to heat this year and I'm installing a new fan in July. And I moved my mommas in from the winter breeding hutches so now everybody is in a wire pen indoors in a swamp cooler like environment they seem to appreciate it lol especially when it's 100+
I can't put my daughter's bew out yet because they were raised indoors =/ and we just got them so acclimating them to the out door temp will start next time it gets under 100 for a few days in a row.

So far, so good. Left work at 7:20 last night, car said 100. Down town was showing 104 when I drove through. Thankfully only 94 when I got home at 8:00.

The pigeons aren't bothering to sit on the young, no need with these temps. The broody with a lone pyncheon chick isn't worried about keeping it warm either.

103 on my patio =/ I have the sprinklers on low to combat the heat and make cool puddles to stand in and lots of temporary shade awnings up.. going back out to check on my peeps in a couple hours, but so far they seem to be handling it, switched up my routine (they are upset with me) watering 2+ times a day and moved chow time to the evenings. I have not lost any more peeps to the heat but I did lose a blue velvet mini rex =( cause someone turned of the mister in 100+ degree weather. I shouldn't have to worry about sabatoge and the heat=/ I am sure that they thought they were helping me but I can't get mad when I'm always telling them to conserve water.
We lived in Lake County, and raised California Meat Rabbits.
And in summer, all the rabbits went into a little 10x10 tool shed (I eventually insulated & sheetrocked it) and installed an AC unit in the window.
It was expensive on the power bill, but the rabbits were so happy !

So then we installed an 18-panel solar array...no more giant power bills !
Finally I had enough of the 110-degree heat, so we came home to WA.
NOW, it was 103 here yesterday on the front porch of our cabin, in the shade, and 95 on the shady side of the house !

Global warming !
It never gets that hot here !
Our normal temp here should have been 78.
maybe have to move to Alaska !

Late notice, sorry !

Tuesday A.M. run from here (southwestern Washington) to Lake County, CA.
Then 4-6 days later a run back again.

It is so hot, particularly when hauling animals.
We want to sitting around waiting for pick ups.

We do have A/C in the van, but if anything is hauled, it must be dropped off & picked up as soon as possible, I mean be there ahead of time.

When DH drives down, he can stop at a lanmark place & pick up or drop off.

Once again, sorry this is short notice.

If anyone is interested, please PM me so I will see the post.
Thanks

Hey, does anyone have any good ideas about moving a flock? We have 7 chickens and two turkeys and I am only moving about 8 miles, but they have always been free range.

Is there any way to make sure when we move that they know they are "home" again? Is it just being patient with them and keeping their routine in the new place? The new place has less land so they won't be able to go on walk-abouts too much or as big as they do. I'm just worried they will be bouncing to the neighbors and bugging people or they'll get hurt.

Bonus points are that the town we are moving to is much smaller, less traffic, more agriculture, and less busy. We live on a truck route now and I'm always concerned that they (along with the rest of our zoo) will get hurt being too close to the road. Our new place is not on a main road and is, like I said, in a much smaller and less busy area.

I guess I'm just being a worry-wart mommy. Sigh.
hu.gif

We just moved as well just 2-3 miles away from the old place where free range was not a problem as everyone had acreage between properties. Here, our neighbors are much closer and have dogs. I would keep them confined until you've familiarized yourself with neighbors pets, predators, etc. We just lost a pullet to the neighbors dog who enjoys lingering on our property. I would give it no less than 1 week. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom