California - Northern

My daughters buff brahma bantams arrived safely
They look like very good quality birds.

Walt

Anyone use Game Bird feeder for molting birds with the higher protein? Thank you.

I use ground catfish food, 32% protein, add that to their layer to increase protein. A 50 lb bag costs $22. I usually mix 2 parts layer (15% protein) to 1 part catfish, brings my protein up to 20%. Layer costs $12 for 50lb bag. My feed store game bird feed is 14% protein so it Is not a feasible option.

I use ground catfish food, 32% protein, add that to their layer to increase protein. A 50 lb bag costs $22. I usually mix 2 parts layer (15% protein) to 1 part catfish, brings my protein up to 20%. Layer costs $12 for 50lb bag. My feed store game bird feed is 14% protein so it Is not a feasible option.
I feed my bantams game bird crumbles a!! The time. They preferred them over the larger pellet of the layer. It is 21% protein, I've also picked up Turkey, game bird feed 28% when they go through an I'll timed molt.

Nice tails on the brahmas. It's nice to see wide tee pees instead of all the pinched tails on the hatchery birds.

Be careful--catfish feed can have bad things in it because it is feed for fish.

Too much protein is not really the answer for molting. 18% is all you need and that is what the feather fixer has.

I have been feeding it for about 6 months to increase the quality of feathers, I also ferment my feed. Usually add about 3 cups ground to my 5 gallon feed bucket, I like protein around 18% for maintenance. I am bumping it up to 20% for molting. This is based on the research I have done for feeding feathered feet chickens (Cochin & brahma) most feed around 18% protein. It is fish meal and soy meal based for the protein and I know some worry about egg flavor, I personally can't notice any difference.

My flock is still young not 2 yet, learning from those with many years experience and putting it into practice. My first year was just the basic leave out dry feed and water. This year I have been researching ways to make it better for me and my flock.

Back
Top Bottom