California - Northern

Neither have I! I didn't expect the tracks to be so big. Hopefully my trap is large enough.

There will be more than one. Keep setting the trap after you catch one. Please don't release the caught raccoon. It is against the law, but just as important is that it will come back or will just be someone else's problem near where it is released. They are very plentiful so don't worry about doing away with the pest. Think of it as a giant rat. They are cute, but ruthless killers. Kern

Quote: Oh we don't plan to. I'm not a fan of trapping and relocating. If these are the animals that killed over half of my layer flock, I don't want them coming back or harassing someone else.
Also, I didn't know that releasing a caught animal was against the law. I thought it was the opposite, actually.

Quote:

Quote: I'm hoping the ones here aren't that bold. We have some big ol' dogs, but I'm still concerned that our new lambs will be bothered.

We have a rather small koi pond in our backyard that we have seen little tracks in the mud around it & assumed them to be racoons, but we have a lot of oppossums around here. We see them all the time but never see the racoons.

There will be more than one. Keep setting the trap after you catch one. Please don't release the caught raccoon. It is against the law, but just as important is that it will come back or will just be someone else's problem near where it is released. They are very plentiful so don't worry about doing away with the pest. Think of it as a giant rat. They are cute, but ruthless killers. Kern

Japan had a cartoon of a Raccoon that made them cute enough to import as pets. Until the Japanese who bought them as pets couldn't handle them and released them into the wild. The non-indiginous Raccoons multiplied and took over historic shrines and temple bldgs and destroyed centuries-old national treasures. Japan is now trying to completely irradicate their imported pest.

Japan had a cartoon of a Raccoon that made them cute enough to import as pets. Until the Japanese who bought them as pets couldn't handle them and released them into the wild.  The non-indiginous Raccoons multiplied and took over historic shrines and temple bldgs and destroyed centuries-old national treasures.  Japan is now trying to completely irradicate their imported pest.

Had to look this up just now. Morbid curiousity and all. It started with a Disney cartoon about rascal the raccoon and sterling north in Wisconsin, that was rewritten for a 52 episode anime in Japan in the 70s and they did make them pretty adorable.

Last edited:
This guy was 42 pounds and I have seen bigger. Here they are not the skinny little ones you see in other places. Walt
Great shot. Seems they are usually about the same size around here. was at the merced zoo today and they had some in there that just looked so small. I remember living up in Yosemite and them being just as big of a problem as the bears. Attimus

Back
Top Bottom