California - Northern

Hi folks, 

We're in Oakand and lost our head girl to ascites about a month ago. :hit She was a boss, a benevolent RIR. 

We're looking to expand the coop by a few EEs, laced Wyandottes and RIRs. I'd love it if I could find someone with fertile eggs, chicks, or pullets!!  Or I'd do brick-and-mortar, but I can't find a place that carries any of these near me (except the RIRs). Anyone know of a place? 

My last-ditch is ordering eggs through some online place, so I'll take recommendations if you've got em!

Thank you!!

Belt hatchery here out of fresno has all of them you can order online from them or make the 2-2.5 hr drive to fresno I know elm feed store gets their chicks from them (I got em there last oct) the hatchery might be able to tell you of a store closer that carries their chicks!

Hello, I am in Santa Clara also! I have 7 chickens right now & have had chickens for about 3 years. I have 2 Wyandottes, 1 Pita Pinta, 3 bantam Orpingtons & 1 Orpington cockerel who just started crowing so he will be leaving soon!
Justine, I look forward to meeting you in Oakland. Will look out for you. My name is Rainbow (yes, real name.) :)

Thanks for the tip, fresnofarmer! I'll check them out.
smile.png

helpp.. ive lost 5 chick in 36 hours. two oegb,red shoulder yokohoma and now two silkies are dying. one is gasping and acting like he has wry neck and i think is gonna die, the other one is lethargic and getting weak, ive tried poly vi sol and sugar water. nothing is helping them please help if you can. the brooder is 95 degrees,unmeditcated feed, on paper towels please help

helpp.. ive lost 5 chick in 36 hours. two oegb,red shoulder yokohoma and now two silkies are dying. one is gasping and acting like he has wry neck and i think is gonna die, the other one is lethargic and getting weak, ive tried poly vi sol and sugar water. nothing is helping them please help if you can. the brooder is 95 degrees,unmeditcated feed, on paper towels please help
I am sorry to hear that!

Keep doing what you are doing and mail in a couple of the dead ones to http:\\cahfs.ucdavis.edu

Last edited:
i may do that im also calling the hatchery in the morning

Do you still have honey in their water? I've read several sources that state that honey is really bad for birds especially humming birds.

"Honey is a natural sweetener, but it is not good for birds. Even the best quality honey can harbor bacteria and grow mold that can be fatal to backyard birds. Avoid using honey to make hummingbird nectar or oriole nectar and do not include it in any suet cake recipes."

I hope the rest survive. It could just be shipping stress.

Trisha

its raw organic honey and i was advised to add some to their water by a friend who practices natural and organic poultry keeping. i lost the two silkies and one made me cry because as i held him he like seized got stiff then relaxed and died.... everyone else seems okay..atleast right now

Back
Top Bottom