California - Northern

guess the party is off (karens Party Sunday) I just found out. Was to lazy to read all the posts so I thought I'd post in case someone else didn't know.....
have a few hatching eggs for sale I was going to take to the party. $10 dozen mix or match PM me for breeds local only do not ship

Well I just ordered some buff orpingtons,salmon faverolles and a black australorp. Hopefully I have better luck with these ones temperaments. I had 6 SLW who were sweet in the beginning but have now turned into onery things since trying to introduce 2 sex links. I've given up and decided to.find easy going breeds haha..

Well I just ordered some buff orpingtons,salmon faverolles and a black australorp. Hopefully I have better luck with these ones temperaments. I had 6 SLW who were sweet in the beginning but have now turned into onery things since trying to introduce 2 sex links. I've given up and decided to.find easy going breeds haha..
It is normal for pullets to get a bit feisty as they get close to laying eggs. They calm down after egg production gets going for them.

Congrats on the new chicks!

No doubt PJ will turn out to be the most friendly and awesome chicken ever!
Wink, wink, snicker, snicker,
PJ (=
yippiechickie.gif

Yes she is quite friendly, but Bertha is a huge eater - she jumps/flies over to me whenever she sees I have food!!!
celebrate.gif

Dont know about the faverolles but Ive known lorps to be a bit on the bossy side especially if the birds are smaller than them. Not mean but just insistent and assertive. Buff orps as often more docile and will give way to any others who show assertiveness.

Introducing new birds is always upsetting to the order of things especially if there is a size difference. Depending on the breeds used for the black sexlinks they can run the gambit but most new birds show fear of the established birds and therefore often invite attention by that fear.

It is normal for pullets to get a bit feisty as they get close to laying eggs. They calm down after egg production gets going for them.

Congrats on the new chicks!

Thanks. I have 4 others, 2 sex links and 2 barnyard mix and they are great. The wyandottes are sweet too in their own way. Just not a good fit for us. I have a great home for them already though. :)

Dont know about the faverolles but Ive known lorps to be a bit on the bossy side especially if the birds are smaller than them. Not mean but just insistent and assertive. Buff orps as often more docile and will give way to any others who show assertiveness.

Introducing new birds is always upsetting to the order of things especially if there is a size difference. Depending on the breeds used for the black sexlinks they can run the gambit but most new birds show fear of the established birds and therefore often invite attention by that fear.

I do agree about the fear. We have worked really hard on the introduction. 3 bantams and 2 sex links went into an introduction pen for about 2 weeks now. The Las few days they have finally been let out with the others. The bantams are suprisingly holding their own quite well. The 2 sex links have been afraid. My barnyard mix hen pecked a bit here and there but then settled in. My wyandotte was good at first. It was the roo that was being very aggressive. I took him out for a few days hoping when he came back he wouldn't be so bad. After he left the wyandotte took his place and became very aggressive even biting me when I let her out of the hen house in the morning. So I then put her with the bully roo. With those 2 gone the coop is peaceful. Everyone is getting along and even though their is pecking it's not so aggressive.. I have a wonderful home free ranging for the 2 aggressive ones so they will be happy as well. :)

The water is so bad here that it pits the nozzle and then will not mist any more.
Last summer I used their calcium filter for hard water and it worked! This year I should not need to use the filter.

Get some nozzles as a backup in case the cleaning does not work.

Ron,
Do you have a timer that comes on multiple times a day?
If so, what kind is it?
Im have a beast of a time finding one that i can get to come on, say, every other hour starting at 11sm to 7pm.
Something with multiple start times for 1 zone.

Last edited:
guess the party is off (karens Party Sunday) I just found out. Was to lazy to read all the posts so I thought I'd post in case someone else didn't know.....
have a few hatching eggs for sale I was going to take to the party. $10 dozen mix or match PM me for breeds local only do not ship

I have some of Sue's Legbar and Wheaten Ameraucana eggs incubating right now. Very fertile. Hatching on Monday. Kern

Back
Top Bottom