California - Northern

Can you help?
I am believing this is a pullet. No male characteristics. But those look like saddle feathers in the back.
She's about 5 months old
Opinions?

Definitely a cockerel. It looks like it's slow maturing (is that a Blue Jubilee Orp? If so slow development is normal) but saddle feathers are never wrong.

Thank you.
That's what I thought when I saw those saddle feathers. Just wanted to hear someone else say it out loud. Ya a blue jubilee orp.

Can you help?
I am believing this is a pullet. No male characteristics. But those look like saddle feathers in the back.
She's about 5 months old
Opinions?
I am not convinced--keep the delusion going and do not sell or eat that chicken!

There is enough time left to see if you get an egg or hear crowing before fall. What about behavior? At 5 months old you should be seeing either egg laying behavior or male courtship behavior ie: wing dancing or feeding the girls treats...and mating attempts.

I am not convinced--keep the delusion going and do not sell or eat that chicken!

There is enough time left to see if you get an egg or hear crowing before fall. What about behavior? At 5 months old you should be seeing either egg laying behavior or male courtship behavior ie: wing dancing or feeding the girls treats...and mating attempts.

This one may be about 4 1/2-5 months
There were 2 other boys in the pen. A very dominant marans about a month older and another jubilee who was clearly male.
So it never got any dancing, crowing or calling to girls going on. The marans harassed the other jubilee male but not this one.
It's been a week of no other males in the pen . So far it still acts the same, from what my friend says. I gave her the bird and see it occasionally .
But I will tell her not to eat it or give it away yet :)
Thank you Ron, we're praying for a girl here

Can you help?
She's about 5 months old
Opinions?

I am surprised your pullet is not crowing yet
pop.gif

Ya you are not getting any eggs but maybe he will fertilize some eggs for you ..

He sure looks healthy and will make a nice addition for your flock
yesss.gif

Had a friend who wanted me to post here. She has two ducks available for sale in the El Dorado County area. One Cayuga, one Black Runner. One is male and one is female but she isn't sure which. $10 each. They're young, I believe several months of age. PM me if you're interested.

I am surprised your pullet is not crowing yet :pop

Ya you are not getting any eggs but maybe he will fertilize some eggs for you ..

He sure looks healthy and will make a nice addition for your flock :yesss:
well he is my friends so I don't see him often, so missed the saddle feathers.
His comb and waddles were quite small always.
Perhaps due to the other boys in the pen he didn't crow, but the other boys never bothered him either.
I'm going to see his type but was a little concerned with using a slow maturing cockerel in the pen.
Right now i see good male characteristics usually earlier. Wondering if slow maturing could be an indicator of fertility/breeding or even testicle issues?
And I don't want a crop of slow maturers lol

IN TRACY- I have a breeding trio of French white muscovies for sale. 2 are about 1 1/2 years old and the last female is about 8 months . Girls are laying and boy is fertile.
Just too many ducks over here. Will part with the 2 females as well if they go as a pair.
These are raised as a meat bird often. I processed 3 month males that clean were 9 pounds
$20/bird

Last edited:
I have a breeding trio of French white muscovies for sale. 2 are about 1 1/2 years old and the last female is about 8 months . Girls are laying and boy is fertile.
Just too many ducks over here. Will part with the 2 females as well if they go as a pair.
These are raised as a meat bird often. I processed 3 month males that clean were 9 pounds
$20/bird

Where are you?

Back
Top Bottom