California - Northern

Wine country folks, what do you put in your run? My chicks just made the transition to the coop and had their first day in the run yesterday. So far it is bare soil and I like that I can spray some water on the ground so they can cool off a bit. The coop is very well ventilated and never gets warmer than the outside air, and yesterday afternoon when I looked in there they were all panting. I let them out in the run and they threw themselves on the cool soil and started digging around in it and the panting stopped immediately and for the rest of the day. But I imagine that over time it'll get pretty yucky with their droppings in there. The run is on the small side as they are meant to free range most of the time as soon as they are a bit bigger. My friend says she puts down hay, but I don't think I could still water the run to keep them cool then, without making a giant mess, no? Also I have a mister which I will start using if shade and the cool ground are still not cooling the birds off enough. What do you use in your runs?

I try to create a deep litter so the chickens can entertain themselves scratching and digging. I'll use whatever is easiest - leaves, pulled weeds, compost, or if not enough stuff around here, will bring in a straw bale for the girls to break up and snack on. Or I will cart in wood chips. I make sure there is still some bare dirt around for dust bathing. I don't clean up the poop in these areas - if it starts to be a problem I will rake it in under the litter. Eventually it can become nice stuff to use in the garden. They love to dig around where the mister sprays.

I try to create a deep litter so the chickens can entertain themselves scratching and digging. I'll use whatever is easiest - leaves, pulled weeds, compost, or if not enough stuff around here, will bring in a straw bale for the girls to break up and snack on. Or I will cart in wood chips. I make sure there is still some bare dirt around for dust bathing. I don't clean up the poop in these areas - if it starts to be a problem I will rake it in under the litter. Eventually it can become nice stuff to use in the garden. They love to dig around where the mister sprays.

I think I want to do something like that. I might start with a bale of hay. I wish I could get chopped hay here, but no dice.

Do you ever have trouble with things getting moldy from the mister?

I have 10 chickens (so far), and I put down that commercial grade sand that's kinda like cat litter. The rock yard where we got it call it PG&E sand. I assume that's what you guys refer to when you say "sand?" It's in the run, and in the coop I have organic soil and a little sand and the pine shavings right now. I love the idea of putting weeds and leaves in there tho! Thanks for that tip All Ball. I feed my birds weeds everyday, but never thought about putting a bunch in the coop. They'd love it. As for outside in the run, I use a cat litter scoop to pick up the poop, at least 2-6 times a day. Every time I go in to see them I pick up poop! I'm getting tired of leaning over with the litter scoop tho, so I ordered one of those square-point sifting shovels on Amazon. It just arrived today! I haven't used it yet, but I think it will be good. I'm going to have to put something in there to deodorize tho, because when we had a light rain several weeks ago, OMG the smell was horrible. I don't want my neighbors to get upset when winter comes and rainy season starts back cuz it'll be pretty rank I'm sure! I might start using some straw in some areas too. Will have to get some soon anyway as these girls get closer to laying. My oldest ones are over 15weeks old now. Oh and I put some shade cloth up along the main part of the run to help cool them off a little. And we have old corrugated vinyl roofing pieces over the top of the run to keep it as dry as possible, but some areas like over the coop don't have the panels, so it'll get wet a little bit there. Might have to put some more up there. Do any of you guys put a fan inside the coop? Mine gets around 90degrees inside even by the time they go in in the evening. I'm wondering if I should get a small plastic one and mount it up out of the way. Oh and, is it normal for there to be soooo many feathers everywhere? I mean, I assume it's ok, and probably just natural from their growing and all the preening they do. Nobody looks like they've been plucked or anything like that. LOL They all are well feathered and healthy girls. But I swear, I could make two chickens outta all those feathers!

I have 10 chickens (so far), and I put down that commercial grade sand that's kinda like cat litter. The rock yard where we got it call it PG&E sand. I assume that's what you guys refer to when you say "sand?" It's in the run, and in the coop I have organic soil and a little sand and the pine shavings right now. I love the idea of putting weeds and leaves in there tho! Thanks for that tip All Ball. I feed my birds weeds everyday, but never thought about putting a bunch in the coop. They'd love it. As for outside in the run, I use a cat litter scoop to pick up the poop, at least 2-6 times a day. Every time I go in to see them I pick up poop! I'm getting tired of leaning over with the litter scoop tho, so I ordered one of those square-point sifting shovels on Amazon. It just arrived today! I haven't used it yet, but I think it will be good. I'm going to have to put something in there to deodorize tho, because when we had a light rain several weeks ago, OMG the smell was horrible. I don't want my neighbors to get upset when winter comes and rainy season starts back cuz it'll be pretty rank I'm sure! I might start using some straw in some areas too. Will have to get some soon anyway as these girls get closer to laying. My oldest ones are over 15weeks old now. Oh and I put some shade cloth up along the main part of the run to help cool them off a little. And we have old corrugated vinyl roofing pieces over the top of the run to keep it as dry as possible, but some areas like over the coop don't have the panels, so it'll get wet a little bit there. Might have to put some more up there. Do any of you guys put a fan inside the coop? Mine gets around 90degrees inside even by the time they go in in the evening. I'm wondering if I should get a small plastic one and mount it up out of the way. Oh and, is it normal for there to be soooo many feathers everywhere? I mean, I assume it's ok, and probably just natural from their growing and all the preening they do. Nobody looks like they've been plucked or anything like that. LOL They all are well feathered and healthy girls. But I swear, I could make two chickens outta all those feathers!
Good job on the runs!

as they grow, chicks go through several molts. The last one after 16 weeks old is the final Juvenal molt and it does leave a lot of feathers every where!

They will not molt again until next Fall--You will not see many feathers until then.

Good job on the runs!

as they grow, chicks go through several molts. The last one after 16 weeks old is the final Juvenal molt and it does leave a lot of feathers every where!

They will not molt again until next Fall--You will not see many feathers until then.

Oh, the long feathers were making me nervous, too! It started a few weeks ago (they are almost 13 weeks now) and I was afraid there was pecking going on, but never saw anything! I asked here and someone else said juvenile molt. Phew!
Yes, I don't wont to go the sand route because of the smell and I am definitely not up for picking up droppings several times a day. I think something mulchy would work better for us...

I think I want to do something like that. I might start with a bale of hay. I wish I could get chopped hay here, but no dice.

Do you ever have trouble with things getting moldy from the mister?

I've only recently gotten the mister, and only use it when it is uncomfortably hot in chicken land, so don't think mold will be a problem, even though it cools down quite a bit at night where I am. I have foolishly left straw bales out near the coop in the rainy season, the chickens dug through it, and they never seemed worse for wear although I'm sure the straw was moldy. I lived at that time in a low-lying neighborhood that must have been a swamp before development, and the backyard got really floody when it rained, but the chickens did fine.

I've only recently gotten the mister, and only use it when it is uncomfortably hot in chicken land, so don't think mold will be a problem, even though it cools down quite a bit at night where I am. I have foolishly left straw bales out near the coop in the rainy season, the chickens dug through it, and they never seemed worse for wear although I'm sure the straw was moldy. I lived at that time in a low-lying neighborhood that must have been a swamp before development, and the backyard got really floody when it rained, but the chickens did fine.

Good, I'll try it out then! We are in Glen Ellen - similar climate it seems. I just hope we are not going to go up into the 100s too much this summer, I find the high nineties challenging enough! I am so glad it does cool down at night, though. I was a bit worried about the huge day/night temperature fluctuations here, but then I read that the chickens actually handle the heat better when it cools down a lot at night. Not so surprising I guess, we sure do too!
Oh, I was going to ask: Love your name - is it after Coco's kitten?

Last edited:
Sand works quite well if you wet it down in the mornings and provide shade for it in the heat of the day. Ive come to the conclusion that a covered run is far better than an open one. (especially in winter time.) I plan on adding more sand to my run this fall and cover it with straw in winter. I have shade cloth and walls covering most of the run currently Im planning on adding hardcover roof to direct runoff.

Boy, if you can do it, a hardcover roof over a coop and run is a blessing! We built a patio roof over our coop and during this heatwave the hens have huddled under it's shade most of the day. Easy to hose down the slab too once a week. The wet cement slab offers them a place to sit and hang out while this blasted heatwave is going on! The outside faucet is located by the coop and I leave it on a very slow drip to keep a cool wet spot for them. By 7:00 a.m. it's too hot to even go out to water our garden!

Just thought I'd check in! I'm pretty sure I have two Lavender Cuckoo d'Anvers roosters and one Quail, so if anyone is interested in getting a tiny roo, I'd be happy to bring you one from Davis! Their crowing is starting to become a little more audible than I would like it, since roosters are illegal here! They're still pretty quiet, small little guys though.

~Laurel

Last edited:
Good job on the runs!

Thanks ronott1! I was pretty sure that would be the case. I too was a little worried about all the big feathers I'm seeing. Guess it'll keep up for a few more weeks, as the 4 youngest birds are going on 13 weeks this week.

Back
Top Bottom