California - Northern

I really don't think you can compare an orp to a silkie.

The size is so different. But I also don't look at my chickens as pets. They are fun and have personalities but they are not my pets.
I was not making reference to their size. I was making reference to the different temperaments of the two breeds (Silkies and Orps) as broodies/mommas. The Orp was overly protective/mean while our Silkies were much gentler toward humans whether setting a clutch of eggs or brooding chicks. Owners have said they've had no problems brooding LF chicks with bantam chicks but in our experience we found the LF Orp chicks quite aggressive toward the Silkie chicks hatched the same day. The Orp chicks harassed other breeds too like Leghorn and Marans chicks that were minding their own business. Fluke? Genetics? Who knows? I just know we have better luck not having Orps or any heavy dual purpose in our flock of gentles. Eventually the Leghorns and Marans had to be re-homed as adults but still glad for the experience of having raised all these breeds. Everyone picks the breeds that work best for their situation.

Definitely a fluke. We brood all sorts of chicks together standard and bantam and even ducklings on occasion. Had those problems before but no correlation with size. Now color made a difference. The light chicks get pecked alot because of their dark eyes. We haven't used broody's yet bit I've seen alot of videos of bo hatching all sorts of eggs. They make great mamas. We have 2 we are hoping to brood with once they come of age. I don't mix my standards and bantams though. I have before with no problems when free ranging but wanted them cooped up to protect from predators.. :)

Definitely a fluke. We brood all sorts of chicks together standard and bantam and even ducklings on occasion. Had those problems before but no correlation with size. Now color made a difference. The light chicks get pecked alot because of their dark eyes. We haven't used broody's yet bit I've seen alot of videos of bo hatching all sorts of eggs. They make great mamas. We have 2 we are hoping to brood with once they come of age. I don't mix my standards and bantams though. I have before with no problems when free ranging but wanted them cooped up to protect from predators..
smile.png

My yard is a cottage yard so not enough room to really have a lot of chicken assortments - especially with a zoning ordinance of only 5 hens/no roos. My folks' 25-acre farm -- they seemed to stick to one breed of chicken, duck, or goose - Babcock Leghorns, Pekin ducks, or Toulouse geese. Mom always longed for Muscovies but had too much livestock already. A few Mallards would occasionally stop in the yard on their migration flights.

Anyone here in CA who would like to provide a loving home for a 7 month old male Pekin duck? His partner was badly injured and I am not able to keep them together anymore. I listed on the free re-homing page but it does not see a lot of CA action it seems and I do not want to put him through the stress of shipping him. He needs to be a pet only (not food), with ducky friends and access to swimming/bathing water. Or I'd take leads on rescue organizations who might take him or other places to post. He needs a home soon and I am just sick over having to re-home him. I can't stand the thought of him going to a place that won't love him as much as I and my 3 year old do.

Anyone here in CA who would like to provide a loving home for a 7 month old male Pekin duck? His partner was badly injured and I am not able to keep them together anymore. I listed on the free re-homing page but it does not see a lot of CA action it seems and I do not want to put him through the stress of shipping him. He needs to be a pet only (not food), with ducky friends and access to swimming/bathing water. Or I'd take leads on rescue organizations who might take him or other places to post. He needs a home soon and I am just sick over having to re-home him. I can't stand the thought of him going to a place that won't love him as much as I and my 3 year old do.

On Facebook there was a lady who rescues roosters. Are you on Facebook? I will find the name of the group.

The ladies name is Shawn Mcniel Nieves
The group is poultry plus 916-530

Last edited:
It's been a LONG time since I've been on byc! Hope everyone is well and enjoying the beginning of fall
1f495.png

We have had a year full of experimenting with our poultry and have decided to buy/ build a chicken plucker. Eyeballing the one all set to go from strombergs.

I would love to hear any input or experience from you all before we scrounge up600.00
1f601.png

I am super disappointed to say that the spinosad caused some nasty side affects for the birds I treated. Very similar to fowl pox (the dry kind), but I'm pretty it isn't. I've dealt with flow pox recently, and the symptoms were not as bad as what the poor chicks are dealing with right now. I sprayed specific birds, ones with more of an infestation than the others, and only those are exhibiting the symptoms. At first I thought it was fowl pox, so I gave them some things to boost their immune system, and waited for it to run its course, but it has been about a week and a half now, with no improvement and the the other birds haven't caught it. I could be wrong, and it could be fowl pox, but I'm fairly certain it isn't.

I'll get some photos of the ones with the issue soon.

I am super disappointed to say that the spinosad caused some nasty side affects for the birds I treated. Very similar to fowl pox (the dry kind), but I'm pretty it isn't. I've dealt with flow pox recently, and the symptoms were not as bad as what the poor chicks are dealing with right now. I sprayed specific birds, ones with more of an infestation than the others, and only those are exhibiting the symptoms. At first I thought it was fowl pox, so I gave them some things to boost their immune system, and waited for it to run its course, but it has been about a week and a half now, with no improvement and the the other birds haven't caught it. I could be wrong, and it could be fowl pox, but I'm fairly certain it isn't.

Post a picture of the ingredients label.

I am sorry for the problems!

I have not had side effects but I use a concentrate.

Post a picture of the ingredients label.

I am sorry for the problems!

I have not had side effects but I use a concentrate.

I couldn't find the paper that came with the bottle, I thought I had pinned it to our cork board but I guess not. Will this do?

Back
Top Bottom