California - Northern

I plan on treating them with premethrin. Wanting to learn what kind to see if they may have been responsible for a recent loss i had. These were bright red. I saw them in the coop under hay etc. They weren't out and about. They were bright red and grey. So far i haven't seen them on my chickens. Just all over the coop in the crevices and nesting boxes.

They crawl out to the chickens at night but some will stay in the vent and feed there.

Do you see blood on the eggs?

Ill have Pita Pinta hatching eggs available again. PM me if you are interested. If I can get a new bator I might have chicks available in May.

Ill have Pita Pinta hatching eggs available again. PM me if you are interested. If I can get a new bator I might have chicks available in May.
There are too few of us raising this awesome breed. The gene pool in this country is very small and we could sure use more people breeding them. If any of you are interested, Chris has hatching eggs and so do I. I might be persuaded to part with a breeding trio or quad later in the season. Come on over to the Pita Pinta thread and join in our conversation there.
smile.png

There are too few of us raising this awesome breed. The gene pool in this country is very small and we could sure use more people breeding them. If any of you are interested, Chris has hatching eggs and so do I. I might be persuaded to part with a breeding trio or quad later in the season. Come on over to the Pita Pinta thread and join in our conversation there.
smile.png
They are one of the best all around chickens you can get. Not a big dual purpose bird but big enough and great layers. We definitely need more breeders.

Hello all,

Nice to see all the folks from Cali in here.... my $0.02 is that N.CA kind of starts at some fuzzy line midway through the S.F. Bay area...  I live in Vallejo and have been raising chickens for 3 years now... I have 16 girls ; 1 buff orpington, 1 red sex link, 1 black sex link, 1 australorp, 1 partridge cochin, 1 faverolle, 1 danish brown leghorn, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 1 cuckoo maran, 3 americanas, 4 welsummers

I have them on a complete Certified organic diet as I have found us silly Cali folks will compensate me the difference for my trouble in obtaining certified organic pellets and scratch.. I use no chemicals in the garden, lawn. fruit trees or flower gardens... I buy my organic feed and scratch at powell brothers feed in Vallejo or the feed supply in Napa... Good folks in both places... use lots of DE everywhere and use natural pest controls i get from www.gardensalive.com. Make all my own compost, well the girls help /img/smilies/big_smile.png and learning by trial and error on things... It's fun learning to garden with the girls in mind and even what i grow in the flower garden.

Norm in N.CA /img/smilies/caf.gif

Sure.  I used (3) pieces of 1x6 and I drew 1/3 of the arch on each board.  Then I cut out the three and attached them to the door arch.  Before painting I used Bondo Auto Body Filler and filled any cracks that showed where the boards met, and I filled all of the screw head holes also.

I hope that helps

Wow! It looks so seamless! I thought maybe you'd used one of those bendable trims.

Since what I need has to act as a cap for the top edge of a plywood facade, that wouldn't work for this project but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Last edited:
I did see some blood on an egg awhile ago. I though it was a new layer but haven't seen anymore since.
That is a good sign. If the infestation was really bad, you would see blood on the eggs. The more the worse it is. Sometimes you can see mites on the eggs.

You need to treat both the chickens and the coops. Wood, especially cracks and corner sprayed with the poison. Repeat that every two weeks and then once a month. Alternate with pyrethrum and spinosad.

That is a good sign. If the infestation was really bad, you would see blood on the eggs. The more the worse it is. Sometimes you can see mites on the eggs.

You need to treat both the chickens and the coops. Wood, especially cracks and corner sprayed with the poison. Repeat that every two weeks and then once a month. Alternate with pyrethrum and spinosad.

OK thanks. Will do.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom