California - Northern

Just be prepared. If you get it then flush your chickens' system with water. Look for low energy chickens and green diarrhea. It is easy to over come
Is it really that easy to take care of though? Millions of birds died in 2003. Has your flock had it? Definitely interested to hear first hand accounts. Might calm my anxiety. Details?

Hello all! I have not been on here for a while, but my six bantam hens are five years old and laying well after their winter break. Elanor is currently broody, crossbeak Violet is still doing well, Sybil is the most social, Edith is low on the pecking order, and Rosie and Mary are at the top. They seem to be happy in their long, skinny run along our back fence behind the pool.

Yesterday though, they acquired some new neighbors. There is now a momma duck with eight ducklings in our pool. Any advice for what we should do about them? A chlorinated pool doesn't seem like the best place to raise babies.

20180609_163444.jpg

Is it really that easy to take care of though? Millions of birds died in 2003. Has your flock had it? Definitely interested to hear first hand accounts. Might calm my anxiety. Details?
Yes, they had it but only one bird. All you need to do is flush them with water, give some food, separate them for 48-72 hours after they stop being tired. Catching it early is key. Mine did have a paralyzed neck but it was only for 24 hours. I was pretty chill about it just some sadness happening. I was lucky that only one of my chickens had it.

Lost a chicken. I think it was a coyote or fox. Wasn't the dog in the image (although sometimes she will chase them but not bite, working on that) as she was with us when it happened. Broad day, only 5-10 minutes where we weren't outside. Came out to feather piñata scenes. No bird in sight, although I tracked the feather trail way down the road and down a steep hill. The Wyandotte is just gone.

So I still have my Wheaten Ameracauna and Grandma her year old Brahmas.

If anyone has one or two pullets or young hens let me know. I'd love to find any of the breeds we originally had.
Olive egger
BCM
Orpington
Ameraucana

Or even a Barred Rock.

Attachments

• IMG_9920.JPG
    IMG_9920.JPG
    628.3 KB · Views: 3
Lost a chicken. I think it was a coyote or fox. Wasn't the dog in the image (although sometimes she will chase them but not bite, working on that) as she was with us when it happened. Broad day, only 5-10 minutes where we weren't outside. Came out to feather piñata scenes. No bird in sight, although I tracked the feather trail way down the road and down a steep hill. The Wyandotte is just gone.

So I still have my Wheaten Ameracauna and Grandma her year old Brahmas.

If anyone has one or two pullets or young hens let me know. I'd love to find any of the breeds we originally had.
Olive egger
BCM
Orpington
Ameraucana

Or even a Barred Rock.
:hugs
I am so sorry!

With taking it, it could be a bobcat or mt. lion too

Back
Top Bottom