California - Northern

Reposting with corrected information….. We previously posted that Pop Rock was carrying a frizzle gene but, a fellow BYCer explained the frizzle gene and how without the trait he cannot carry a recessive for frizzling. Just wanted to correct our goof.:oops: He’s still available if anybody is interested. We also have a Self Blue D’Uccle cockerel available.

Hello everybody! We are still trying to find a home for a few bantam cockerels that we ended up with in a group of straight run chicks purchased from Concord Feed in mid March. We posted awhile back about our situation and have been successful finding 3/8 homes between this site and Craigslist. We actually ended up with 8/10 of the straight run chicks being male. We’ve certainly learned our lesson and will resist getting the adorable little fuzzies in the future. We live within the SJ city limits and 5 crowing roosters definitely isn’t going to work. We are having a little bit of success with rooster collars but, finding homes for some of them will really help. This Bantam Blue Cochin has a bit louder and more frequent crow. It would be ideal to find him a home first. Pop Rock is a Blue Bantam Cochin and was purchased from Concord Feed in Dublin, CA on March 18th. He has received the Marek’s vaccine and has been fed organic starter/grower, fresh garden veggies, and fruit. He really loves his crumbles mixed with warm water. Somehow, that’s his favorite treat. He makes really cute excited sounds while eating such a luxury. 😆If you live in Northern CA and would be willing to add Pop Rock to your flock please feel free to contact us. We would be willing to deliver him to you if needed.

Attachments​

• FE8583C9-B9AD-4E14-99D9-9661D80CD3D7.jpeg
    FE8583C9-B9AD-4E14-99D9-9661D80CD3D7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 0823860A-F1C3-405D-8D76-BEAD71A7CF08.jpeg
    0823860A-F1C3-405D-8D76-BEAD71A7CF08.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • A0527E4C-3C3A-4E15-999A-80A41A028F47.jpeg
    A0527E4C-3C3A-4E15-999A-80A41A028F47.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 03D0AFC6-FF30-40FA-800F-84CAD41D832B.jpeg
    03D0AFC6-FF30-40FA-800F-84CAD41D832B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Did Pop Rock find a home?

i wonder if “neutering” them would make them quieter? Im learning how to with my group supposedly the meat is really good when they are done so figured id try.

hey all! Yes im back! Lol.
hey anyone know someone with a few fertile goose or turkey eggs? I have a broody hen and want to use her to my advantage lol. Or brahma eggs too, since i want to work with them as a breed as well. Im in cottonwood but willing to travel, anyone have any connections?

also figured id update some pics of my group!
Those beards and muffs are amazing!!

:frow Hey, Northern California BYCers!

I'm reaching out to you from smoky Sacramento. The air is awful here right now, but I feel bad even complaining about it because my family, home, and property are safe from fires. I hope you all are safe and doing well, also! :hugs

I'm posting here in the hopes that there is a duck lover amongst you who might be interested in providing a home to three Pekin ducks we rescued that we found abandoned at a local pond. There are 2 females, and 1 male. I think they're still pre-laying age, and they are a tightly bonded trio who gets along with other ducks and chickens.

They were so sad when we found them (dehydrated, wet-feather, bumblefoot, you name it...), but with good care and treatment they are like new ducks now! :jumpy.
I put together a little slideshow of their story HERE. Please check it out if you want to see pictures of their transformation or, even better, if you're interested in giving them a place to call home! We would love to keep them, but our coop is at capacity; we simply don't have the room.

Please, please consider adding the Pekin Pals to your ducky flock, or perhaps they could be your first ducks ever! I will provide a small kiddie pool for them as well as some of the food they've been eating. Oh! And if the females are still at the end stages of their bumblefoot recovery, I'll also send them with their protective shoes. I just really, really want them to get a wonderful home where they'll be take care of. :fl

Thank you!!!

Kay
I hope you find a good home for them!

Thank you! We are trying everything we can. I really don't want to put them on Craigslist, because too many people just want to eat them. :( After all they've been through and how far they've come, I would hate to let that happen.
With the drought and heat it must have been terrible for them!

With the drought and heat it must have been terrible for them!
They were so thirsty! It was so, so sad. They had been just eating dirt to try and get whatever they could out of it. They wouldn't have survived another 24 hours there, that's for sure. We couldn't let them die 15 feet from water they couldn't actually get to.

They're very happy now. Lots of flapping and playing and quacking and running amuck, and they have all recovered from the wet-feather and are shiny, lovely ducks. :wee

I can't bring my flock inside either. They seemed to do ok last year, and it was far worse in my area. Granted it is early in the season so far. I am not sure if there is anything you can do. I worry about mine as well, because if it is not good for us, it can't be good for them. The ash last year destroyed paint on our cars, so it can be pretty corrosive. If there is something that can help them, I would love to know too.

im curious too. Mine are free range and seem to do better under the house overhangs theres a breeze under there they get but idk how to duplicate it outside of the house. :/

Those beards and muffs are amazing!!
Thank you!! I cant wait to get some chicks from them and see how they look! I saw your peking duck post. Have you tried some of your local facebook groups? Im not up for ducks yet but ill keep an eye out for anyone looking

Back
Top Bottom