California - Northern

Jeff(Papa Brooder)

How are the sick chicks doing? Are your basque eggs developing?
Hey Ron, thanks for asking. Seem to be much better. both eyes fully open on both. lots of energy. Keep checking for signs of mites cuz I'm freaked out thinking i'll find them! :) Also, the other chicks that they were with all seem to be fine and haven't shown any similar symptoms. I did treat just the two for 3 days with Tylan 50 and eye med 3-4x/day. There is still some mild swelling but not enough to make the eyes stay closed. I'll just watch them close for a few more days.

So, the basques are doing great as far as candling at lockdown. i think all but 2 went to lockdown. hatch day is tomorrow. I have two lav orps hatched, 2 pips (marans and BBS orp), but no pips from the Basques. i had a crazy silkie hatch on day 18 before i had even started lockdown procedure. didnt want to leave in bator for 4-5 days so took it out,. it was too early and the shock from moist to dry too much. only lived a few hours. sad, my first hatching loss.

i thought i could invite but it wont let me sorry

I think you can invite friends... Wanna add me?
big_smile.png

Quote:
hugs.gif
Sorry to hear about the Silkie.

woot.gif
Great to hear about the EO Marraduna Basque eggs doing so well. They always seem to do well. I have 4 roosters and one maybe of those. That gives me 6 or 7 Basque pullets. I seem to hatch a bit more pullets than cockerels. Yay! I am very confused by my Marans chicks. 3 of the 7 have big combs and wattles. One has a little comb and wattle, but has red on it's back. Except for the red, I would say Pullet. I will get some pictures soon. They are 6 weeks old and have that Juvenile ugly look going on
gig.gif

I have discovered that Cockerels drink a lot of water! My pen with 13 week old Cockerels(6) and 2 pullets drink a gallon and a half a day!

I have 1 SG Dorking, 2 Red Star and 3 Partridge Rock Cockerels in there. The 2 Pullets are Partridge Rocks. The Partridge Rock Cockerels would do very well as a 4-H project for the fair. They are rare, so they don't even have to be that good. Of course they will also make a great fourth of July BBQ.

In the same pen with the Marans, I have the weirdest looking chicks. They are 7 weeks old and are the Americauna x dorking chicks. One of them has the shape and a bit of the Dorking coloring with green feet and amuff! She also has a rose comb. According to the EE people, that is associated with the blue egg gene, so the eggs should be a shade of blue green. There is one cockerel that has 5 toes but some Americauna coloring in his feathers. The last pullet looks a lot like an SG Dorking, but IDK. I love them though. I can see how you might get a great egg layer with more of a Meat production than with the Americauna. They are fairly wide for their age.

Ron

Ron

At the county 4H show here, you wouldn't believe it, a PAIR of broilers sold for 500-600$.
th.gif
Yellow skinned birds would probably go up higher...

At the county 4H show here, you wouldn't believe it, a PAIR of broilers sold for 500-600$.
th.gif
Yellow skinned birds would probably go up higher...

Partridge Rock cockerels are Gorgeous!

If anyone want 1 or 3 send a pm. The Yolo County Fair is in August and the rules said something about needing to own them for 60 days.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom