California - Northern

Thanks Ron. We didn't end up buying it after all. I think the Plymouth Rocks are 2-4 months old. I'll ask Cheryl about that. I'm such a worried mom with my chickens! Who woulda thought? :)
The Rocks were introduced to the Basques today in the pen. We left the coop door open for more space. There was some chasing going on, and a few pecks, but nothing crazy. When it starting getting dark ALL of them went in to the coop! I couldn't believe it! We're waking up early tomorrow to check on them and open the coop door just in case. We also got a barrel of alfalfa hay today to put in the pen. Ohhh maybe that's why they weren't fighting.. They were too busy eating! Afterthought: good idea!
Meeting for the first time:
4b304dcb-6981-4097.jpg

Corid and cocci? Got it! :)
Stand off at the OK Corral

The Rocks were introduced to the Basques today in the pen. We left the coop door open for more space. There was some chasing going on, and a few pecks, but nothing crazy. When it starting getting dark ALL of them went in to the coop! I couldn't believe it! We're waking up early tomorrow to check on them and open the coop door just in case. We also got a barrel of alfalfa hay today to put in the pen. Ohhh maybe that's why they weren't fighting.. They were too busy eating! Afterthought: good idea!

As i have several introductions in my future, this is both encouraging & a helpful tip!

Tomorrow i'll be picking up my friend's australorp pullet, who's the same age as my two cuckoo marans (7 weeks tomorrow) -- trying to decide whether it might be wise (or is that just chicken math?) to get a second same-age pullet (if i can find one available nearby) to introduce at the same time, so that the dynamics will be 2+1+1, instead of just 2+1? any thoughts? will it make a difference?

(then in september i'll get to do it all over again, as i'm getting four chicks in early august...)

thanks,
laura

As i have several introductions in my future, this is both encouraging & a helpful tip!

Tomorrow i'll be picking up my friend's australorp pullet, who's the same age as my two cuckoo marans (7 weeks tomorrow) -- trying to decide whether it might be wise (or is that just chicken math?) to get a second same-age pullet (if i can find one available nearby) to introduce at the same time, so that the dynamics will be 2+1+1, instead of just 2+1? any thoughts? will it make a difference?

(then in september i'll get to do it all over again, as i'm getting four chicks in early august...)

thanks,
laura
I do not think so as the new intoduction's would not know each other anyways. I would keep them together but seperate for awhile ( week or two) if that is possible. so they get used to each other plus to help lessen stress likelyhood and disease.

I do not think so as the new intoduction's would not know each other anyways. I would keep them together but seperate for awhile ( week or two) if that is possible. so they get used to each other plus to help lessen stress likelyhood and disease.

yes, planning to keep them all in the coop but separated -- so you don't think the two marans would overly "bully" a lone newcomer? (they are all new to the coop itself, the marans have only been in it for two days)

thanks!
laura

Last edited:
I don't think your introduction will cause a huge problem. Your first birds have only been in the run a day or two. Just give hiding places for the birds to get away from each other and keep an eye on everyone. Offering treats at the same time to distract them will help.

Deb

yes, planning to keep them all in the coop but separated -- so you don't think the two marans would overly "bully" a lone newcomer?

thanks!
laura
they will probably establish there pecking order but if you bring two in they will just pick on both until that is established. eventually all will be ok.
Mine have gotten picked on for a few weeks when I introduce. They do need enough space to get away. If you introduce two that do not know each other they probably will not hang out together anyways then there is a chance that you have to have 3 seperate areas while they get used to each other if they are not all friendly.

I don't think your introduction will cause a huge problem. Your first birds have only been in the run a day or two. Just give hiding places for the birds to get away from each other and keep an eye on everyone. Offering treats at the same time to distract them will help.

Deb

thanks -- the coop is quite big (henhouse is 8x4' inside a 8x12' run), i'll be armed with treats, and i'll put some leafy oak branches inside the run for hiding behind -- and, the two marans chicks actually haven't left the henhouse yet, they seem rather boggled by all the space! they did try out their ramp yesterday, briefly -- then headed right back inside!

Last edited:
wow ok just sent a pick to my friend the breeder.....
This is actually a Crele Hamburg project she was working on... FREE TO GOOD HOME !!!
Quote:
Duh! that is an Hamburg comb. I love it.

I hope you find a good home for him.

Ron

Quote: Hi Meg
frow.gif

Mine have not even tried to crow yet. One of the BYC's that hatched Basque at the same time as me said hers were trying to crow last week. Ours are nicer though, so maybe hers are crowing because they are from a different breeding pen? It looks like we got ours from the better pen...How lucky is that?

Ron
Help please!!
My last post was a very long mulit-quote comment... Maybe too long...
I could really use some advise right now:
(I got no reply in the emergencies thread!)
one of my 8 week old Columbian Wynadottes is suffering big time & I'd really like to help her make it thru this!
"Gleet" is what I'm dealing with here I guess. She is leaking a smelling white discharge & can't poop!
I feel awful that I thought her little song was a happy one last week & after returning home from Sonoma I see that she is actually in great discomfort.
I have her in a box in the house, gave her marshmallow root & yogurt today w/ rescue remedy in her water.
I wanted to give her an enema today but got nervous after reading online about the anatomy of chickens....
I have only washed her externally & tried to massage her belly a bit w/ no success. Does anyone know anything else I can do or should I just put her out of her misery??
hit.gif
I read a post today about a lady that was going to give her chicken an enema. I hope you get the problem resovled soon.
hugs.gif

Ron
Quote: The really great thing about your coop is the many places for the attacked chicken to hide.

If you put them in the same coup with a fence type of barrior, they will work on the pecking order through the fence. I caught one of my Basque Cockerels feeding one of the Barred Rock big girls through the fence. He had some food in his beak and he moved his beak through the fence while she walked up and took it from him. It was really sweet. I don't plan on putting them together but if I did there would not be too much fighting with them.

Ron

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom