California - Northern

Quote: I love pork! Other than feeding pigs I don't know anything else about their care. How much do piglets cost, is it expensive to feed them....and how much does a butchering fee cost for a pig? Do you eat the other animals or are they breeding? From a 200-300 pound pig- how much meat would you say you get? How long does it take to raise them that large?
I'm willing to call and request it if you send me the stores info! Team work!! P.S. I commented on the wrong quote and can't figure out how to delete it. I was talking about the King Feed above. Lol I think I need a nap!

Last edited:
Amy Beth, my non-hatchery Wyandottes were a little slower to POL than a hatchery bird would be, maybe 22 weeks? They laid about every other day, and the heat didn't seem to bother them much. They produced a much bigger carcass than any of the hatchery birds I ever had too. The best layers that I had in the heat were my Blue Andalusians, but they completely shut down in the winter while the Wyandottes kept up at least some laying.

I processed my first domestic duck today! I had originally scheduled them in June, but I was still dealing with the ILT then, and had medicated everyone before I figured out what it was. Then the month got away from me, so they had a nice long withdrawal period. Out of ten hatchery Jumbo Pekins, I only ended up with three drakes, so that was nice. I haven't weighed the carcass, but I did a drake and I would guess at least eight pounds dressed out. I definitely have to find a bigger scalding pot though.

This was my first time doing anything with wax too, so I experimented. Since I had to scald half at a time, I did the first half without wax, and then added it to melt while I was plucking. Then I dipped the back end and redipped the front. I think scalding in plain water first would be the way to go, as it just doesn't penetrate the bulk of the feathers either way, but the wax was nice to get a grip on the few remaining feathers after I initially plucked.

Tomorrow I'm going to cure him and the next day I'm going to smoke him. I've got plans for duck sausage too, but I think I'll keep both remaining drakes for now, so it'll have to come from a hen. My runner is setting on six eggs too, so I might have more to feed shortly; time to cull.

Last edited:
This thread used to be quiet, now I can't keep up... Welcome to the newbies! I wouldn't call most of us vets, we all talk a lot but I don't think any of us are old timers.
big_smile.png

Amy, all my livestock have a purpose (rescued horses excepted). They are either food or breeding stock. Even my dogs & cats are expected to work for their living.
smile.png
And I choose breeds that are a good fit for small homesteads, needing less space, less food, many can forage for themselves in the right environment.
Jersey & Jules, Guinea Hogs grow to 100-300 lbs. Less meat than production hogs but more flavorful. Easy to process. They have wonderful temperaments, not aggressive at all.
Here's more info on them: http://guineahogs.org/?page_id=98

Pat, I think if you plan to show and sell, you either have to cull sick birds or breed for resistance, or both.

Chiquita, I'm sorry about Sachi.

Meg, ask about King Feed on the Bay Area thread. I know some of them use it and will know where to get it.

Cali Chick, I love those aprons. My husband often has Levis that are beyond use as pants.
Walt said that he is showing at the State Fair. Deb will be there, too.

I wonder if people consider my place a crazy chicken habitat. I couldn't tell if Ron was cringing
sickbyc.gif
or not. A few feathers from our butchering are still out on the lawn next to the picnic table. We had people over for a meal and I was hoping they wouldn't notice. My husband had to open his mouth and tell them!
th.gif

Kim

Wow - kudos to you for being able to keep up with this thread. It's making my head spin - but in a good way.

And Thanks - I think you're right. three more of the quarantined birds are sick today. I think I should cut my losses & cull them all. At least my main flock is safe. Thanks to all of you who taught me the importance of quarantining new animals!

Wow - kudos to you for being able to keep up with this thread. It's making my head spin - but in a good way.

And Thanks - I think you're right. three more of the quarantined birds are sick today. I think I should cut my losses & cull them all. At least my main flock is safe. Thanks to all of you who taught me the importance of quarantining new animals!
I'm sorry to hear more are sick. :(

Amy Beth, my non-hatchery Wyandottes were a little slower to POL than a hatchery bird would be, maybe 22 weeks? They laid about every other day, and the heat didn't seem to bother them much. They produced a much bigger carcass than any of the hatchery birds I ever had too. The best layers that I had in the heat were my Blue Andalusians, but they completely shut down in the winter while the Wyandottes kept up at least some laying.
I processed my first domestic duck today! I had originally scheduled them in June, but I was still dealing with the ILT then, and had medicated everyone before I figured out what it was. Then the month got away from me, so they had a nice long withdrawal period. Out of ten hatchery Jumbo Pekins, I only ended up with three drakes, so that was nice. I haven't weighed the carcass, but I did a drake and I would guess at least eight pounds dressed out. I definitely have to find a bigger scalding pot though.
This was my first time doing anything with wax too, so I experimented. Since I had to scald half at a time, I did the first half without wax, and then added it to melt while I was plucking. Then I dipped the back end and redipped the front. I think scalding in plain water first would be the way to go, as it just doesn't penetrate the bulk of the feathers either way, but the wax was nice to get a grip on the few remaining feathers after I initially plucked.
Tomorrow I'm going to cure him and the next day I'm going to smoke him. I've got plans for duck sausage too, but I think I'll keep both remaining drakes for now, so it'll have to come from a hen. My runner is setting on six eggs too, so I might have more to feed shortly; time to cull.
Was it a lot more work processing the duck than a chicken? I hear the feathers are harder?

Hmmm Wyandottes seem to be fairly popular. I will look into to this one. TY!

A little more, but not a ton. My usual scalding pot caused most of the hold up. Perfectly fine for chickens, but too small for turkeys or ducks. And the feathers were a little harder, but the body cavity was bigger and easier to get into than the little cockerels I process when I have extra that I don't want to feed for a year, so it was a trade off.

We'll see how he tastes in a couple of days, but I expect good things. He was nice and fat!

I do prefer heritage strains for the bulk of my flock. I know they are not as heavy layers though. I do think I want a couple EE or other good egg layer nestled in my flock- just a few every couple years. I am happy to buy those from TS or from members here selling their extras. I think it's fun to have just a few fun little egg layers in the bunch.
I've got some EE and some ameraucanas that hatched this last hatch if you are ready for some more chicken math!! :)

If all goes well, I should have Partridge Penedesencas for next year. The breed description says Ultra Heat Hardy. I will get a candling picture tomorrow so you can see how beautiful the eggs are.

I am working on Heat Hardy breeds. I don't know where this is coming from. Maybe it's like the contestants on the Next Food Network Star that can't find their Point of View....
gig.gif

Ron
we can trade.... have crele now and hatching wheaten's on the 2nd
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom