California-Southern

Hey. I live in Huntington Beach and am getting set up to get my first couple of hens. I am interested in the barred rock hens. How long have you had yours? How is it doing? Any advice for someone starting out?

If you only get two hens it's good to get them the same breed. I've had both BRs and Dominiques. Doms were the foundation stock in BRs breed history and then bred larger by infusing with game birds and other LF. Doms have a long Colonial history, are active foragers making other breeds look lazy, calm-natured, dual purpose (cockerels), good layers in spite of taking time off to brood their own young which BRs are not known broodies, and Doms are easier on the feed bill than the larger BRs. As chicks both are outgoing, curious, and people friendly. However as the BRs mature they can get pushy in a LF flock where the slightly lighter weight Dom is less political - not docile, but not usually mean either. This is just our experience but whatever your decision it's good to keep both pullets the same breed. Many people love their RIRs for eggs but they are large birds and not easy on the feed bill. APA Ameraucanas are good egg layers and not usually broody, active foragers, predator savvy, have good temperaments, lay very large to XL eggs, and in pretty blue. It's all a matter of what you want. The larger the breed, the more space they require not to get on each other's nerves LOL.

If I could only have 2 chickens I would for sure want them to look different for variety. They are going to be best buds regardless of breed.
idunno.gif

I have read and am aware not to mix a larger breed with a smaller breed if my flock is only 2 ladies. But I was wondering if I could keep 2 breeds "successfully" together if they are similar in size. Have you had any luck with this? Thanks for the info. I really like the Barred Rocks and am looking into another similarly sized breed that would be a good egg layer, great pet and could handle the heat (90+ in the summer) while holding it's own at the feeder.
thumbsup.gif

I would think any other standard sized breed would work except for game type. We have several breeds separated into breeding pens but then have many others in a mixed barn yard flock. It sometimes depends on the personality of a chicken too. Also if they start off as 1 day old chicks together they will most likely get along. This does not mean you have to do it that way. We just give adult chickens some time to get used to each other before leaving them in the same area. Also the more space they have the leas likely they seem to bother each other.

Hi Everyone!
I'm going to give this another try and see if anyone would be interested!
I am having to sell my last Ameraucana breeding trio project, I have a blue roo, black hen, and a white hen!
The White hen hatched out beautiful splash colored babies along with some blues!
I'm having to sell due to a move to Oregon
hit.gif

I also have a Golden Cuckoo Maran that is laying great right now!! Tons of chocolate colored eggs!
I have a little Jap mix roo who has become attached to her but not a must to adopt both!

Let me know if anyone would be interested in buying either the trio or the cuckoo and jap roo!!

Last edited:
Im in Norco! New to BYC and am using this site daily for info. I just got my first 6 chickens and am loving them way more than I thought I would.

I would think any other standard sized breed would work except for game type. We have several breeds separated into breeding pens but then have many others in a mixed barn yard flock. It sometimes depends on the personality of a chicken too. Also if they start off as 1 day old chicks together they will most likely get along. This does not mean you have to do it that way. We just give adult chickens some time to get used to each other before leaving them in the same area. Also the more space they have the leas likely they seem to bother each other.
Our flock of 4 is all mixed breed LF (see my signature for specifics). We chose our breeds for laying ability, heat hardiness and docility. They are getting along fabulously. They are only 6 weeks today, so problems could develop in the future, but I'm not worried about that one bit. They shared a brooder, and now share a coop, run, and free range space with no problems.

Last edited:
Has anyone near Disneyland had any issues with the noise of the fireworks affecting laying? I figure that the girls have grown up with it since they were 3 days old, so it shouldn't affect their laying, but I am curious to hear your experiences.

I have read and am aware not to mix a larger breed with a smaller breed if my flock is only 2 ladies. But I was wondering if I could keep 2 breeds "successfully" together if they are similar in size. Have you had any luck with this? Thanks for the info. I really like the Barred Rocks and am looking into another similarly sized breed that would be a good egg layer, great pet and could handle the heat (90+ in the summer) while holding it's own at the feeder.
thumbsup.gif

For 3 years we have been trying to make the best backyard flock we can. We have gone through 8 hens and currently have 3 left because of a couple chick deaths and 3 re-homed because of being bullies to the point of harm. We found just matching size is not enough. There are temperaments to consider also.

2 birds can be equal in size yet one breed's inherent nature is non-combative while another breed's reputation can be aggressive and take advantage bullying the gentler breed just because there is no returned challenge. What our experience has shown is that no matter how dissimilar breeds look to be getting along as pullets they become more assertive and sometimes aggressive at about 18 months to 2 years of age. This is why I suggest same breeds if there are only 2 ladies. Same-breeds will be on an equal footing, similar temperaments, and have a fair squabble when establishing who will be the alpha matriarch. Example: Even though similar in size putting an assertive RIR, BR or Wyandotte with a non-combative breed like an Ameraucana or EE would not be an equal match because of such dissimilar temperaments. However, two of the same breed will settle their differences on equal ground without one taking too much assertive power over the other. We had a Leghorn who was similar in color and size to our Ameraucana but the Leghorn terrorized the non-combative Amer and pulled out all her beard to the skin and the Amer did not challenge back and was mercilessly chased. If it were two Leghorns scrapping there would've been two equal birds establishing their pecking order without such harm. Just my 2 cents of experience.

The most common mix of dual purpose breeds I have found that people seem to be very pleased with are RIRs with BRs. Not to offend Wyandotte owners but there seems to be a 50/50 split on whether they are a good breed or not so we exercised on the side of cautionary reviews to not try them - beautiful birds though. I don't suggest Leghorn with a BR because a Leg only gets to 4.5 lbs and a BR gets to 6 or 7 so not very equal in size. Orps and 'Lorps are big birds and should be able to hold their own with a BR. We found Marans at maturity are aggressive types. I would not mix an Amer/EE with a BR since the EE will run rather than stand up for itself - it's too gentle natured. As for pets any chicken you feed treats to will be your best friend LOL.

If eggs is what you are interested in than the non-broody RIRs and BRs will be excellent layers and most reviews say the RIRs usually become the alpha matriarch. Orps and 'Lorps can go broody and that cuts into egg output but still are decent layers. Out of the Mediterranean white egg layers the Minorca is of sizeable body match to a BR and most Mediterranean class are non-broody so egg laying should be very good - I believe they come in Buff or Black. Even though larger hybrids and sexlinks are bred for high egg numbers they are basically non-combative and have many reproductive issues like eggbound, prolapse, etc, as my egg-seller friend discovered.

Wishing you the best on whatever you decide on. When you can only have or want two hens it takes longer to decide on a compatable pairing.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!
I'm going to give this another try and see if anyone would be interested!
I am having to sell my last Ameraucana breeding trio project, I have a blue roo, black hen, and a white hen!
The White hen hatched out beautiful splash colored babies along with some blues!
I'm having to sell due to a move to Oregon
hit.gif

I also have a Golden Cuckoo Maran that is laying great right now!! Tons of chocolate colored eggs!
I have a little Jap mix roo who has become attached to her but not a must to adopt both!

Let me know if anyone would be interested in buying either the trio or the cuckoo and jap roo!!

Aren't chickens allowed into Oregon?

Back
Top Bottom