California-Southern

Regarding differences in heat tolerance.

While a peacomb doesn't have the same radiant opportunities as a single comb, I believe that the down may also contribute. It has been my observation that Ameraucanas and Ameraucana mixes (as are some Easter Eggers) have a different type of down and seem to hold heat more as babies and adults. I don't know how to quantify that difference. I have noticed that they seem to pant more than other breeds/mixes.

While a peacomb doesn't have the same radiant opportunities as a single comb, I believe that the down may also contribute.  It has been my observation that Ameraucanas and Ameraucana mixes (as are some Easter Eggers) have a different type of down and seem to hold heat more as babies and adults.  I don't know how to quantify that difference.  I have noticed that they seem to pant more than other breeds/mixes.  
I've been noticing that in my Easter Egger. She definitely pants more often than the others. Interesting theory about the down! The others seems fluffier, but I suppose if the EE's down is held closer to her body, or is denser, that might lead to less heat release.

I've been noticing that in my Easter Egger. She definitely pants more often than the others. Interesting theory about the down! The others seems fluffier, but I suppose if the EE's down is held closer to her body, or is denser, that might lead to less heat release.
I first noticed the down difference when the chicks hatch. It seems thicker and fluffier, but I don't know if that is texture or density. I correlate some of that to the relationship between Ameraucanas and Araucanas. It is my understanding that the Araucana's are from cold regions hence the muff, beard & peacomb. But not feathered feet?

fyi - there are "easter egger" and "olive egger" crosses which are not Ameraucana based. They may have single combs and a better heat tolerance. Then again, I have some Ameraucana mix easter eggers with single combs, and olive eggers that include peacombs from Lt. Brahamas, so what you see may not tell the whole story.

While a peacomb doesn't have the same radiant opportunities as a single comb, I believe that the down may also contribute.  It has been my observation that Ameraucanas and Ameraucana mixes (as are some Easter Eggers) have a different type of down and seem to hold heat more as babies and adults.  I don't know how to quantify that difference.  I have noticed that they seem to pant more than other breeds/mixes.  

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I was worried about one of my EEs, as she pants more than the rest of the flock and has a pea comb. She seems to pant whenever it gets above 78F or so. My other EE has a single comb, is smaller and seems to have less feather density.

Hi Y'all!!

I have 2 Ameraucana Hens I'm looking to rehome. They are both around 8mos-1 yr old.
One black and one white!
I am having to move to Oregon at the end of this month and I cannot transport them with me :(
I'm asking $15 each or $25 for both!
Let me know if you are interested!
Have a Great Day!!

Sarah :)

I have seramas and old English game bantams, modern game bantam chickens for sale or trade for quails or aviary birds also have a female turkey

If the turkey is already plucked and stuffed we might consider it - NOT!

Hope you find your trade because SoCal is really light on the varieties I'm interested in!

While a peacomb doesn't have the same radiant opportunities as a single comb, I believe that the down may also contribute. It has been my observation that Ameraucanas and Ameraucana mixes (as are some Easter Eggers) have a different type of down and seem to hold heat more as babies and adults. I don't know how to quantify that difference. I have noticed that they seem to pant more than other breeds/mixes.

The down is DEFINITELY a factor in LF breeds which is why Greenfire only recommends Hedemoras for snow climates. Our Ameraucana (my avatar) is very downy under her hard-feathers and does not do well in heatwaves. However our Silkies manage very well in cold, heat, or rain - hardy little buggers.

Hi Y'all!!

I have 2 Ameraucana Hens I'm looking to rehome. They are both around 8mos-1 yr old.
One black and one white!
I am having to move to Oregon at the end of this month and I cannot transport them with me :(
I'm asking $15 each or $25 for both!
Let me know if you are interested!
Have a Great Day!!

Sarah :)

Very good price for two Ameraucanas with nice slate legs. I hope you get a taker for this excellent breed and already laying - gotta be one the the sweetest breeds in poultry!

Back
Top Bottom