California-Southern

Hi all the Newbies...... I am in San Diego.... about as close to the Mexican border as you can get... LOL Currently dont have chickens... Very long story...

There are alot of Breeders of purebred chickens about... hang on BYC for a while and you will identify em.

but there are a few hatcheries in California...

I bought Welsummers from Redwing.... Red wing only supplies feed stores
There are some you can find on Craigslist... Norco is their location... I forget what they are called

Also remember Buying from the midwest is totally acceptible The post office is normally very good at bringing chicks in on time.

deb

Hi all the Newbies...... I am in San Diego.... about as close to the Mexican border as you can get... LOL Currently dont have chickens... Very long story...

There are alot of Breeders of purebred chickens about... hang on BYC for a while and you will identify em.

but there are a few hatcheries in California...

I bought Welsummers from Redwing.... Red wing only supplies feed stores
There are some you can find on Craigslist... Norco is their location... I forget what they are called

Also remember Buying from the midwest is totally acceptible The post office is normally very good at bringing chicks in on time.

deb

My juveniles shipped from CO a couple weeks ago. I called the California State Veterinary office to make certain there were no import restrictions of poultry coming into the state and was told as long as the birds are tested AI and Newcastles free there was no current restriction for L.A. County. So the breeder attached the certification to the shipping box and I got the juvies overnight in about 10 hours!

I'm in East San Diego County, Alpine. I have been getting my chicks from Secret Hills Ranch here in Alpine. They breed lots of awesome breeds and do shipping. I have 3 on order now.

Hi, I'm in LA County. There are probably more chicken enthusiasts in Ventura County =)
Ventura County has an interesting APA chicken event in the fall, which is a good way to find people in your area.
It is at the Ventura County Fairgrounds and is hosted by the Seaside Feather Fanciers.

Thanks for the info! I will try to go! I am loving being a new chicken mama. I have one American Game hen and four 2-week old chicks (2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, a Welsummers and a Golden Sexlinks).

I'm in East San Diego County, Alpine. I have been getting my chicks from Secret Hills Ranch here in Alpine. They breed lots of awesome breeds and do shipping. I have 3 on order now.

HI
frow.gif
My place is in Jacumba..... so I am East-er

I forgot about Secret Hills Ranch. they are pretty new... to me... AND they have Quarter horses I met her online here a few weeks ago shes awesome.

The breeds they have are outstanding but because of their rarity pretty pricy.... I hope they are in full production by the time I get started again... because they have Svart Honas.... Which is a Swedish Black Hen... they are melanistic.... Not like The Ayam Cemini's but pretty close.

deb

HI
frow.gif

I forgot about Secret Hills Ranch. they are pretty new... to me... AND they have Quarter horses I met her online here a few weeks ago shes awesome.

The breeds they have are outstanding but because of their rarity pretty pricy.... I hope they are in full production by the time I get started again... because they have Svart Honas.... Which is a Swedish Black Hen... they are melanistic.... Not like The Ayam Cemini's but pretty close.

deb

I've gotten most of my birds from Secret Hills. It's a long drive for us from Orange County, but her birds are worth it!

HI
frow.gif

deb
I know Jacumba, we used to live out in Campo. Missy at Secret Hills is amazing! They do have the specialty birds but to me I don't mind paying a lil more. My first 3 birds I got from Bullseye Feed in Alpine, just basic hatchery quality birds but I love them too.

HI  :frow   My place is in Jacumba..... so I am East-er

I forgot about Secret Hills Ranch.  they are pretty new...  to me...  AND they have Quarter horses I met her online here a few weeks ago shes awesome.

The breeds they have are outstanding but because of their rarity pretty pricy....  I hope they are in full production by the time I get started again...  because they have Svart Honas....  Which is a Swedish Black Hen...  they are melanistic....  Not like The Ayam Cemini's but pretty close.

deb

I've gotten most of my birds from Secret Hills.  It's a long drive for us from Orange County, but her birds are worth it!  

I concur! I got my Salmon Faverolles and a golden cuckoo Marans from her. My birds have grown well, lay well and have good temperament. Her property and facilities are the cleanest I've seen so far. She's NPIP, strict about biosecurity (which we should all appreciate), and has lots of special rare breeds. I just wish she has even more variety, like regular Swedish Flower hens, Brabanters and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens ;)

I concur! I got my Salmon Faverolles and a golden cuckoo Marans from her. My birds have grown well, lay well and have good temperament. Her property and facilities are the cleanest I've seen so far. She's NPIP, strict about biosecurity (which we should all appreciate), and has lots of special rare breeds. I just wish she has even more variety, like regular Swedish Flower hens, Brabanters and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens
wink.png

She has a lot of variety, you're just picky :p

I got these breeds from her: Salmon Fav, Golden Cuckoo & Blue Copper Marans, Cream Legbar, olive egger (F1 and F2), Bielefelder, and Rhodebar.

Back
Top Bottom