California-Southern

I love birds, all birds, even funny African buzzards! But having chickens for the last almost 8 yrs I've discovered how very hardy yet sometimes how very fragile birds can be! Poultry have so many viruses going against them for which there are no vaccinations. Unfortunately the poultry industries consider poultry expendable and don't spend the resources to develop vaccines. Because after eradicating infected flocks, they can hatch a whole new flock of chicks in 21 days to restock their industry with fresh new birds so why spend the resources to develop vaccines? If dogs and cats weren't such money-makers for veterinarians vaccines probably never would've been developed for them either.
Hope your quail do a little better!

Sorry for the bad wording, I meant I’m incubating some quail eggs but it doesn’t look like there is going to be a good hatch rate if they hatch at all.

I think quite a lot of $$$$ is spent on developing vaccinations for poultry diseases
Who's pocketing the research $$$ as I haven't seen much progress with vaccines against viruses that have been plaguing poultry for decades now?

Sorry for the bad wording, I meant I’m incubating some quail eggs but it doesn’t look like there is going to be a good hatch rate if they hatch at all.
Such tiny little birds - don't know much about quail except that they're sure cute! Do quail hatch their own young at all? My Silkies used to be a broody bunch when they were younger and couldn't wait to set on another hen's fresh-layed egg -- I caught one Silkie trying to hatch a cucumber slice! How she moved it to a nestbox is beyond me!

I'm in the San Fernando Valley which, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been effected yet.

What are the symptoms to look for? What precautionary measures can I take?
So I had the CA dept of Food and Ag come and test my chickens because I had 4 that died suspiciously. The most important thing is to practice good biosecurity. I will post a picture of the flyer they gave me. Thankfully, my flock tested clean.

I'm in the San Fernando Valley which, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been effected yet.

What are the symptoms to look for? What precautionary measures can I take?
CCAEB627-3A4E-4B6D-BA70-82AD1CF296FC.jpeg

So I had the CA dept of Food and Ag come and test my chickens because I had 4 that died suspiciously. The most important thing is to practice good biosecurity. I will post a picture of the flyer they gave me. Thankfully, my flock tested clean.

Did the Dept test the dead birds or your live flock? Have any idea why you lost the 4 "suspicious" ones? There are so many issues facing chickens that any number of maladies can cause sudden death having nothing to do with viruses but sometimes undetected bacterial infections. For example, I know something as simple as Bumblefoot to take care of can eventually kill a chicken if gone undetected/untreated.

They tested both my live birds and my dead birds (I froze the carcasses as soon as I could after death.) I think that they were killed by spider bites perhaps? I had 2 month old chicks and 2 week old ducklings that all died within 30 minutes of each other after being outside for a short amount of time. I had made a small outdoor brooder for them and when I flipped it over after they died I found an adult black widow and several juvenile black widows. Maybe I disturbed them when I brought the first two inside (those were my two live birds that were tested.)

Black Widows are nasty insects! I am so sorry if that was the cause of death of such little birds! Poultry have so many predators and insects going after them, it boggles the imagination how any birds survive at all in this world!
I just returned from the vet who's been treating one of my hens for Bumblefoot. He did surgery on one foot but doesn't like the looks of swelling on the other foot even though there's no crust showing. She had a Metacam injection (anti-inflammatory) last week and every day we've been administering Clindomycin (Bumblefoot is a staph infection and needs antibiotics) especially after last week's foot surgery. We have about 3 days more to go with the antibiotic and then he wants to see her again in 2 weeks to watch the other foot. He doesn't want to surgery/dig in the other foot if the antibiotic works to get the swelling down first.

Back
Top Bottom