California-Southern

Ozexpat...What an adventure! Your place looks like a garden paradise...maganda!! Godspeed to you and your next batch of eggs. Will you eventually be a permanent resident of the Philippines or do you always travel back and forth? Do they not have the variety of breeds we do here?
i will always travel back and forth. the best of both worlds. the have leghorns, rockx and local game fowl mostly

Ozexpat- congrats on that hatch rate! Let me know when it's closer to your next "Chicken run"
I should have some black copper Marans, and various other crosses for you if you are interested.

Ozexpat- congrats on that hatch rate! Let me know when it's closer to your next "Chicken run"
I should have some black copper Marans, and various other crosses for you if you are interested.
thanks HixSix. I will PM you as I firm the date. I will definitely be going labor day weekend but I am trying to go easter as well . I wish your eggs were part of the last adventure (the diary link is in my sig below)

I learnt a lot from carrying eggs 7500 miles and hatching them with an ambient temp of 80F and 80% humidity.

My plans are more ambitious also. I will take a pile of mutts to free range and distribute as part of my local project of egg production improvement with the locals.

I had a bad hatch rate with the BCMs I paid good money for from an ebay seller in San Diego. I emailed him 3 days ago without a reply. Very disappointing. His BCMs and Australorps were less than 50% fertile. I did get 6 from 8 BLR Wyandottes from him to hatch though.

I am looking for big breeds this time - as well as BCMs to complete the chocolate egg program. One chick just does not work for a breeding program LOL.

My shopping list is:

orpingtons
australorps
black copper marans
bramha
cochin
barred rocks
giant jersey

I really need SoCal eggs as I need them as fresh as possible. Its 2-3 days from when I pick them up till they can get into my bators in Asia.

Last edited:
I am in Simi Valley. Currently have 10 laying hens, 4 hatched in 2009, 6 hatched in 2012.

Looking for local fertile eggs to hatch in a incubator. Would love to get some BCM, Welsummer, and Olive Eggers.

Hi all. I cannot, for the life of me, find scratch or cracked corn in sizes less than 25 lbs. I could use about 10 lbs or so but I only have a few chickens and they just don't get that many treats.

Anyone know where I can find 10 lb bags of either scratch or cracked corn?

thanks!
Hey Sophie,

Stephens Hay & Grain on Riverside dr. bags their big feed into 5Llb bags .... So you can get scratch I believe... I buy my BOSS there in 5 Llb bags .... Not sure they have just corn... but as its just in Glendale it is really close to you!

Back
Top Bottom