California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mbiondo

mbiondo In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    Ramona, CA
    Thank you. Feels good to know someone reads and answers. I pray you enjoy your flock, and that God keeps them healthy and safe!

2. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chirping

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Hello everyone! I just found out this thread existed. My hubby and I (along with our two rescued cats, our two rescued Border Collies, and thirteen hens) live in Ventura County. Glad to meet some other SoCali folk!!!

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA

4. Ozexpat...What an adventure! Your place looks like a garden paradise...maganda!! Godspeed to you and your next batch of eggs. Will you eventually be a permanent resident of the Philippines or do you always travel back and forth? Do they not have the variety of breeds we do here?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i will always travel back and forth. the best of both worlds. the have leghorns, rockx and local game fowl mostly

6. SixHix

SixHix In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Ozexpat- congrats on that hatch rate! Let me know when it's closer to your next "Chicken run"
    I should have some black copper Marans, and various other crosses for you if you are interested.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thanks HixSix. I will PM you as I firm the date. I will definitely be going labor day weekend but I am trying to go easter as well . I wish your eggs were part of the last adventure (the diary link is in my sig below)

I learnt a lot from carrying eggs 7500 miles and hatching them with an ambient temp of 80F and 80% humidity.

My plans are more ambitious also. I will take a pile of mutts to free range and distribute as part of my local project of egg production improvement with the locals.

I had a bad hatch rate with the BCMs I paid good money for from an ebay seller in San Diego. I emailed him 3 days ago without a reply. Very disappointing. His BCMs and Australorps were less than 50% fertile. I did get 6 from 8 BLR Wyandottes from him to hatch though.

I am looking for big breeds this time - as well as BCMs to complete the chocolate egg program. One chick just does not work for a breeding program LOL.

My shopping list is:

orpingtons
    australorps
    black copper marans
    bramha
    cochin
    barred rocks
    giant jersey

I really need SoCal eggs as I need them as fresh as possible. Its 2-3 days from when I pick them up till they can get into my bators in Asia.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

8. stephennguyen13

stephennguyen13 Hatching

Jul 18, 2012
    Anyone would like to adopt a 7 month old rooster?

9. danab

danab Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    I am in Simi Valley. Currently have 10 laying hens, 4 hatched in 2009, 6 hatched in 2012.

Looking for local fertile eggs to hatch in a incubator. Would love to get some BCM, Welsummer, and Olive Eggers.

10. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey Sophie,

Stephens Hay & Grain on Riverside dr. bags their big feed into 5Llb bags .... So you can get scratch I believe... I buy my BOSS there in 5 Llb bags .... Not sure they have just corn... but as its just in Glendale it is really close to you!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by