California-Southern

It was a pretty big shock to me too. First off most people move to the mountain to get away from the "city mentality" and most are very neighborly. One of a neighbors is ready to bang down the door of the suspected rat because he loved our chickens as much as we did.
Exactly!!!! We are actually looking to move up into the big bear area(not necessarily in town) for exactly that reason! You'd figure people would be more tolerant of animals and neighborly enough to come talk to you about it first! So sad
sad.png

LOL to Rick. Sometimes people do need to be reminded of their color genetics though. Give Oz a pass pretty please.;)

Oz I am finding most people are breeding blue to blue to get a wide variety of colors but I am on the hunt for Blues only and the last hatch I waited on produced only one blue which I have (crossing fingers for a pullet).

My goal is to rebuild my flock with hens who lay a variety of different colors, but all hens will be blue in color. I have a legalistic neighbor who ratted on me with out talking to us first. I'm pretty sure it was the rooster that pushed him over the edge but we had had chickens for well over a year. So just talk to us, right? We had to go from 25+ chickens to our legal limit of 2 (1 Blue Marans and 1 Blue Ameraucana) which is an insane number. Chickens are flock animals and 2 is a pair not a flock. Anyhow, the goal is between 6-10 hens only Our Coop and run are pretty large (6'X20' completely covered) and can house that number well without needing to free range, but if we did free ranged 2 at a time and they all looked similar our hope is the neighbor won't really know how many we do have. :) At least that is the hope. 
We are currently raising 3 blue Ameraucana chicks, 3 blue Marans chicks, 4 Blue Orpington Chicks, and 1 Olive Egger in hopes to keep a pullet or two of each variety.
I'd love to find Blue LF Cochins and Blue Faverolles, but they are a little hard to come by.
I am very well set up to raise chicks so I figure why not raise up a few dozen right.:D

Odyssey farms in Lancaster has BBS lf Cochin.

There website has pics of them showing them.

@hillfloweranch had some of their birds and I hatched some and have them to @OffGridMAMA last year.

Exactly!!!! We are actually looking to move up into the big bear area(not necessarily in town) for exactly that reason! You'd figure people would be more tolerant of animals and neighborly enough to come talk to you about it first! So sad
sad.png

We were very disappointed to say the least.
Heads up I believe they have the same code enforcement laws there for unincorporated San Bernardino County. Anything less than acre is zone per square footage for chickens. We are on a 7,000 Sq Ft lot 200 square feet short of 3 chickens. Just our luck. LOL. Not that we'd be happy owning 3 chickens after having at least 20 for almost 2 years. :)

Anyone in So Cal know anyone that has Blue Colored Olive Egger Chicks or young pullets? I can wait for another clutch to hatch but since I am looking for blue color specifically I would love to find someone with chicks on the ground already. Waiting may not produce blue since in order to get blues you also get Black and Splash. Anyhow thought I'd ask about here too. :)
I usually have blue feathered Olive Egger chicks & pullets.

Hi Carrie. Take a look at these two wyandottes;

The one on the top is one of yours, I think hatched in Feb or March this year. The 2nd girl is a little over a year old. The chicken in question is every other picture, compared to the one below it.

What's the chances of the one on the top being a roo? Are your girls that big?
popping into your conversation - the mahogany is very good in all pics
the top one is feathering in like a Roo, smudgy on the shoulders instead of crisp lacing - but I have had exceptions

Last edited:
You go girl/guy! We need serious breeders on the West Coast. Seems like we always have to bow down to the East or Midwest for stock and it's refreshing to get CA breeders! I don't think I could breed seriously as I would want to save all the culls LOL! BTW Whitmore Farms might be a good Welsummer stock check for you. See what you think after perusing their website.
Hi Carrie. Take a look at these two wyandottes; The one on the top is one of yours, I think hatched in Feb or March this year. The 2nd girl is a little over a year old. The chicken in question is every other picture, compared to the one below it. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] What's the chances of the one on the top being a roo? Are your girls that big?
This is the west coast contact I would like to get eggs from: http://kummerpoultry.com The Welsummer club site also lists a California breeder that I have not researched.
thanks for the tips on (hopefully) quality welsummer eggs, I will look Into both breeders. Rick, look at those saddle feathers growing in, shiny and pointy or rounded? You have all the answers, young padawan!
1f61c.png

thanks for the tips on (hopefully) quality welsummer eggs, I will look Into both breeders. Rick, look at those saddle feathers growing in, shiny and pointy or rounded? You have all the answers, young padawan!
1f61c.png
Ok, you can call me Padawan, only if you wear cinnamin rolls on the sides of your head at Norco meet-up and we call call you Leia!!!

Back
Top Bottom