California-Southern

Hello Southern California Peeps! I have a teacher friend in Whittier that is looking for some hatching eggs for a classroom project. She is not particular about the breeds. Does anyone have any hatching eggs that they would be willing to share with her?

Hello Southern California Peeps! I have a teacher friend in Whittier that is looking for some hatching eggs for a classroom project. She is not particular about the breeds. Does anyone have any hatching eggs that they would be willing to share with her? 
if you look on Craigslist there's a lady in Altadena who sells a backyard mix of hatching eggs for $1 each. Our school had great hatch rates from her eggs--much better than shipped eggs from breeders and hatcheries.

Hey there! I'm close to Whittier and have fertile eggs! I've supplied a teacher in Torrance before for a classroom hatch.

Question i have a broody hen. Figured id take advatage of her. Do i need to do anything else besidrs set up a proper nest and place her on the fertile eggs? How many can she sit on? The little snot choose to hoard eggs and set up shop under a tarp lmao.

Hey there! I'm close to Whittier and have fertile eggs! I've supplied a teacher in Torrance before for a classroom hatch.

What kind of eggs do you have? Ive heard ppl hatch even trader joes eggs as they are fertile. But ive never tried.

They are backyard mixes. As of today, the fathers currently could be a SF or a SF x SFH. And some of the younger hens' eggs could be fertilized by a BJG. My hens are a bunch of different heritage and rare breeds: Swedish Flower, Barred Rock, Australorp, Golden Cuckoo Marans, Salmon Faverolles, Basque, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahma, Lavender Ameraucana, Easter Egger. My dad also has fertile Serama eggs I can get.

I've had really good hatch rates from our eggs, both by incubator or broody hen.

Question i have a broody hen. Figured id take advatage of her. Do i need to do anything else besidrs set up a proper nest and place her on the fertile eggs? How many can she sit on? The little snot choose to hoard eggs and set up shop under a tarp lmao.

Broody hens tend to do that! There's not much to do. Just make sure she has a safe place to sit on her eggs. I pretty much let nature do the rest, though occasionally I'll bring treats like scrambled egg to hand-feed to the hard-working mama. The number of eggs a hen can sit on depends on the the breed/size of hen. My Aussie is sitting on 11 right now, but I'm sure she can easily sit on 15-18.

I believe shes a grey andulision? I got a dozen for her to sit on. I plan on putting her in a dog crate as shes currently where others go to lay. But do i lock the dog crate and put food and water in with her or leave the door open.

Back
Top Bottom