California's Ban on Plasmas

Wait until the "Smart Grid" is here and your appliances start communicating with it. Believe me, that is coming soon. Think about those implications.

In CA one person's energy use impacts the price that everyone pays as well as causing shortages. Supply and demand. I lived there during the rolling blackouts years ago, it was ugly. Many places in CA get very very hot in the summertime and an air conditioner isn't just a luxury. This skyrockets energy use and causes shortages, which can be very dangerous. So I can see why they are looking at ways to make sure that the energy system is secure.

Also, I can guarantee that if they outlaw big energy sucking televisions there that the manufacturers will work very hard to make their appliances more efficient so that they can get that huge market share back.

Erg.... Must... resist... insane desire... to begin ranting... Uuugh. I think I'm okay now. Since when is the government allowed to tell you what products you can and can't use?

To the person who asked when it becomes undeniably ridiculous, it's never too ridiculous to defend in today's wild world of wackos. Sorry, only alliteration I could think of.
tongue2.gif

My husband worked for a power plant for 33 years, this is the biggest bunch of hooey there is. If the CEO's and the supt. of the plants, as well as all the people on their boards didn't take their big chunk of the money, it would go a LONG way towards being able to produce more power. I am not saying these people don't deserve a good salary, but not only do they make BIG bucks the perks are unbelieveable!!!! There were times when they were GIVING power away in the plant to other utility companies, because there was NO demand for it, but did anyone of us consumers get any kind of relief, heck no. With all the possibilities of wind power, water/coal fired plant possibilities, and solar power, there is no excuse for this. In fact, on the Today show yesterday, they showed how to cut your ele. bills DRAMATICALLY, and TV's were the one thing that uses very minor amount of power, and it was a flat screen fancy dancy she had on her wall that she showed. Just more government control within our homes. PHOOEY!!

Quote:
Angie, the CA problem a few years back was pure politics in action along with some greed.

Generation is available. Transmission is limited. Politicians should all be, well, you know.

Quote:
LOL...You got it...Hubby still pines for the console we had when we got married...plus I think tube TVs lasted longer....

Quote:
Angie, the CA problem a few years back was pure politics in action along with some greed.

Generation is available. Transmission is limited. Politicians should all be, well, you know.

Oh, I agree. Enron had a big part to play in it as well. They need to make some major overhauls in their entire infrastructure. But, in the current climate there it's not going to happen. This is just another band aid on a bigger problem.

Why this is even an issue in such a sunny locale is beyond me.

Quote:
I'm thinking nuclear power. Unbelievably effecient; safe (yes, I used the word "safe" to refer to nuclear power!); takes up minimal space, unlike solar or wind; and for those who believe in manmade global warming, almost ZERO emissions. Hydropower is great, as well. Personally, I think wind and solar are great on a small scale, as in home use, but on large scale they're total flops. They take up far too much room, and are unreliable, entirely at the mercy of the weather. As for "saving energy," I'm surprised that no nutso legislature has forced us to limit our AC use yet. I'd love to see a politician try to pull THAT off!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom