Call Duck Adventure

My first official candle is over. Out of 24 eggs I had two early quiters so far and 6 clears. I have some good growth going on in all the little egglets so far. Air cells are looking fair for a week one candle to even if they are saddled for over half of the eggs but we make due with what we have. Some of the veins in a few look better than in others but over all for day 6/7 i think they are looking pretty good.

IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 1
Checked my call duck eggs the last two nights as I have started misting and cooling eggs on Sunday. With them just sitting there i cant help but not take a flash light and candle the buggers to see what is going on in side. Which is lots of wiggles!

We hit the 14 day mark tomorrow. So depending on the egg it seems that I could end up with ducklings starting to hatch around March 31st if they do 26 days, or the First few days of April.

I have a lot of saddled shaped air cells so I am not sure how that is going to make this adventure for me. I know with the black east indies i had to do assists on them with saddle cells when they were bad because the duckling always seemed to be twisted up in the egg funky.

Checked my call duck eggs the last two nights as I have started misting and cooling eggs on Sunday. With them just sitting there i cant help but not take a flash light and candle the buggers to see what is going on in side. Which is lots of wiggles!

We hit the 14 day mark tomorrow. So depending on the egg it seems that I could end up with ducklings starting to hatch around March 31st if they do 26 days, or the First few days of April.

I have a lot of saddled shaped air cells so I am not sure how that is going to make this adventure for me. I know with the black east indies i had to do assists on them with saddle cells when they were bad because the duckling always seemed to be twisted up in the egg funky.
Following :pop

I am excited to see how this turns out for you.
I have the same incubator but the times I've used it I've had power outages..
And operator error issues where the eggs were not getting turned and I didn't realize it.
So I have not had really great success thus far using that incubator.
I have never done the misting and cooling either and I'm wondering if that helps with hatchability.

it seems like it would if you think about it. The broody moms get off their eggs daily sometimes for an hour at a time or better.
They go swimming and then they go back to the nest wet 💁

I am excited to see how this turns out for you.
I have the same incubator but the times I've used it I've had power outages..
And operator error issues where the eggs were not getting turned and I didn't realize it.
So I have not had really great success thus far using that incubator.
I have never done the misting and cooling either and I'm wondering if that helps with hatchability.

it seems like it would if you think about it. The broody moms get off their eggs daily sometimes for an hour at a time or better.
They go swimming and then they go back to the nest wet 💁

I am a horrible candling addict so it gives me a good excuse to candle too! I give them a small spritz and then they usually sit while i finish looking at everyone else and then back on goes the top or back in they go depending on if i want to take pictures that night.

My shipped eggs where I have done it have always come out a bit better with the misting than when I forgot to do it. So i have really tried to remember doing it this time. I even hand turn the eggs after misting just to make sure they get to rest on everyside evenly enough. (it always seems with these smaller guys I am always seeing the same side up when i check though i know they turn fine. It makes me feel better.)

I am more excited about the chance at colors i might get. I am not a white duck person, just not for me, any other color or mix of white and something but a solid white duck just isn't for me. This has a nice array of colors that could come about so i am keeping my fingers crossed for not all white calls.

I am a horrible candling addict so it gives me a good excuse to candle too! I give them a small spritz and then they usually sit while i finish looking at everyone else and then back on goes the top or back in they go depending on if i want to take pictures that night.

My shipped eggs where I have done it have always come out a bit better with the misting than when I forgot to do it. So i have really tried to remember doing it this time. I even hand turn the eggs after misting just to make sure they get to rest on everyside evenly enough. (it always seems with these smaller guys I am always seeing the same side up when i check though i know they turn fine. It makes me feel better.)

I am more excited about the chance at colors i might get. I am not a white duck person, just not for me, any other color or mix of white and something but a solid white duck just isn't for me. This has a nice array of colors that could come about so i am keeping my fingers crossed for not all white calls.
I like that assortment of colors you showed too.
Exciting indeed!

My call duck adventure continues. Today I did a candle to see where air cells where. I also realized that I might be closer to hatch than i thought. The eggs are about 2/3 to 3/4ish dark on the ones I candled today. Hard to believe that lockdown is less than a week away now!

I am also down to 14 eggs from the 24 I recieved. 6 clears, 2 red rings, and 2 quiters so far.

IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0577.JPG

Back
Top Bottom