Call Duck Incubation Emergency!

Bird-Whisperer

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
Fallbrook California
Hi Everyone,

My call duck hen (Pretzel) made a nest in our yard with 9 eggs and had been sitting for a long time (I don't know when she started sitting, but when I candle the eggs they look very close to hatching). I just went out to check on her nest and she's gone. I can't find her anywhere and her eggs were cold (they are alive and moving when I candled). I heard her quacking around 6am but didn't think anything of it since she's always loud, but I'm pretty sure something snatched her :hit

I have the brinsea mini incubator and I'm able to fit 7 eggs in there. I put the remaining 2 in the chicken coop because a couple of our bantams have been acting broody "on-and-off" the past couple days.

So here's where I need help: Every time I've tried to hatch call ducks, I've failed. Since I don't know how far along the incubation they are, I'm not sure what temperature I should set, should I turn them, and should I cool them?

Also, I'm down to one drake (we had another male but something got him last month too). I really don't want him to be lonely and I can't find anyone selling call ducks near me.

I appreciate any and all advice!

Candle the eggs daily. When you see the beak in the air cell then put in a safety hole. I use a sharp screw. The next day I open up the egg further from the safety hole and expand the hole about the size of a nickel or quarter. I moisten the inner membrane with canola or olive oil on a qtip. Usually they are still chewing and absorbing the yolks sack. After they absorb the yolk sack they can usually hatch on their own. If they are struggling and no longer chewing mouth movements you can peel back more of the shell to help them out.
I've been hatching a lot of call ducks lately and if I don't do this they end up dieing in the shell.
I'd do 99.7*F and 40% humidity until you put in safety hole and then bump humidity to almost 60%.

Candle the eggs daily. When you see the beak in the air cell then put in a safety hole. I use a sharp screw. The next day I open up the egg further from the safety hole and expand the hole about the size of a nickel or quarter. I moisten the inner membrane with canola or olive oil on a qtip. Usually they are still chewing and absorbing the yolks sack. After they absorb the yolk sack they can usually hatch on their own. If they are struggling and no longer chewing mouth movements you can peel back more of the shell to help them out.
I've been hatching a lot of call ducks lately and if I don't do this they end up dieing in the shell.
I'd do 99.7*F and 40% humidity until you put in safety hole and then bump humidity to almost 60%.
Thank you, I'll follow your advice!

ECD3F016-65A3-450A-907E-60F200AA38EF.png
@BirdsBeesTrees, Happy 4th! I thought you should be the first to know that we got our fist hatchling just now! (We got 4 more that are pipping)! He’s still wet but chirping and healthy! Thank you for the advice; it’s been very helpful! I’ll get more pics when the rest hatch!

Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about this thread, lol!
Well, we hatched a total of 5 ducklings and they're all grown up now!
Our lonely drake is no longer lonely! In fact, he bonded with the chicks super fast and kinda raised them (as best a drake can, haha!). As ducklings they would follow him around the yard and he would even sleep with them at night 💕

So anyway, we've now got 3 females and 3 males (counting daddy duck)! Thanks for all the advice @BirdsBeesTrees ! Now enjoy some pictures :D
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1075 2.JPG
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2282.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom