Call duckling - deformed bill

Thanks for the info! We’ve seen lots of crazy injuries here on BYC and other places like FB etc, and how they can amazingly heal, but I have never seen an adult like this, so I’m glad to hear that it’s possible.
Yeah I know the boy died of old age. I was about 3 or 4 when I seen him. A buddy of my dad had him but I remember he was on a farm pond. Pretty sure back then the boy wasn't given any special treatment but he was their main drake and they used him for breeding meat birds.

Oooh, no, caiman also applies to some extent but I was thinking of gavials. My bad for the mixup.
1620558417095.png

@Wyorp Rock I had one call duckling this year which had this at one side of his/her bill and died before hatching (see right white duckling). Someone I know who has many many calls had one this year too. The little one did not survive. So I keep my fingers crossed for yours.

Although my adult ducks do not show symptoms it is suspicious for folic acid deficiency within the breeder duck. Because I also had 3 pullets die just after internal pipping

Poultry DMV says:
"Folic-deficient breeder hens tend to produce chicken embryos that die immediately after pipping the air cell while in the later stages of incubation."

and:

"A deformed beak and bending of the tibiotarsus are signs of the embryonic deficiency, which occurs as a result of folic acid deficient breeding chickens."

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/folic-acid-deficiency

I will definitely supplement my ducks more folic acid from now on and especially next breeding season to try to prevent this from happening.

[Edit:I wonder if you could think of other reasons for this to happen...]
IMG_7374.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom