Call ducks came today!

I don't have mine yet. They probably won't be here until Wednesday or Thursday, but that works out well since I have so much PTO left that I had to take off the whole week of American Thanksgiving even though I had nothing in particular planned. Any of mine that are going to hatch will hatch that week, so it will be exciting to be able to watch the "big event" as much as I want to instead of having to stay glued to my computers all day.
pop.gif

Haaaa, good call! If I had that much time off I'd take off a week to watch my babies hatch, too XD

It did work out well, but that wasn't the reason I did it. I scheduled that week and the last two weeks of the year about a month ago so my manager would stop telling me I needed to take time off work. That satisfied him for a while, but he brought up last week that I need to get the rest of it scheduled. I bought the Call eggs last week kind of on impulse, which really isn't like me, but I was pretty excited earlier today when I realized that would be the week they would be hatching (assuming any of them do hatch).

I'm on day 5 not sure if any are fertile or not, I candled them yesterday and dint see much. I will wait a couple more days before trying again.

I candled tonight day 5 and I see some veining in at least 5 or 6 of my eggs!!!! I am so excited I hope they keep progressing! I will candle again on day 10 and by then I will definitely be able to weed out the non fertilized ones.

I candled tonight day 5 and I see some veining in at least 5 or 6 of my eggs!!!! I am so excited I hope they keep progressing! I will candle again on day 10 and by then I will definitely be able to weed out the non fertilized ones.
I'm so happy for you!!! I'm really hoping I have at least as much success with mine, but I had/have far more air cell issues than you did. This is despite the fact that they were shipped from the state right next to mine and spent only a few hours in transit. I even had them held at the PO so I could pick them up to make sure the box was properly handled for at least that part of the trip. If I don't have much luck with these and she still has eggs available. I'm going to see if she's willing to send some more using an alternate shipping method.

BTW, how do you know two of yours are crested? None of mine had labels.

Please keep us posted!

2 of my eggs are a lot bigger than the little ones I recieved and the are a totally different color so I'm guessing they are the crested ducks. I did have a lot of loose air cells but I set them up right and let them rest 24 hours before I put them into the bator and then for 2 days I had them in egg cartons until the air cells were no longer loose. That seemed to help. Keep me posted on your eggs! Hopefully you get some babies!

Ah. I didn't know the size of the crested ones is any different from the others. I did have one egg that I thought even at first glace was noticably larger than the others. I turned out when I weighed them that I was right. The egg weights ranged from 1.2 oz to 2 oz, with that one being the only 2 oz one. The next highest weight was 1.6 oz, which is what exactly half the eggs weighed. The 2 oz one was one of only 5 that seemed to have a stable air cell.

I didn't put mine in the incubator in an egg carton, but I set them in vertically instead of laying them down and didn't enable the automatic turner for now. I'm going to candle them again on Sunday night, which will be the five day mark. I'm really hoping to see some improvement then.

Back
Top Bottom