Call Ducks or Bantams...Crazy Animals Around the Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to suport a hatchery that will sell de-winged/de-beaked chicks by ordering from them.. I did know about the mystery chicks at MYP but I could end up with a meat turkey if not any at all :confused: I only want heritage turkeys to keep.. I could by locally but there's never any around and if there is they're very expensive..
Have you tried Meyer's?
When I found out that Ideal offered this on day old chicks I decided that I would never order from them because I won’t support them. How many turkeys are you going to get?
They also aren't MG clean. :hmm

I don't have many photos, but I'll post a few that I have. A little background, I bought a trio (two pastel and a snowy drake) of calls last spring from a feed store (90 minutes and a state line away). We had a visit from the sex change fairy and Ann became Bart, so I asked around and found a snowy hen and had 2 happy pairs. Just before Christmas, something got into my duck pen and killed both hens. My drakes were so sad that Hubby loaded up and we drove back to the feed store and we bought a trio of hens 2 snowy and a pastel. The ducks made me very sad at the feed store, over-crowded, skinny, wet, muddy and just awful, every duck in the enclosure had wet feather-- I really should have walked away, but I couldn't leave them there-it was awful. Brought them home and washed them all down and helped them get dry. The pastel, Betty- wasn't too bad off, she cleaned right up. The snowies, Lola and Suzie were/are a mess. they have wing feathers that have no little fluffy bits, its just quill. They were starting to look really good in mid January, putting on weight and learning to be ducks, one of them had even started to lay. The day I collected the second egg, Lola came in that morning with a mucky eye and then, that afternoon there was a hawk attack and Suzie had severe injury to her neck and puncture wounds across her body. I learned it was Suzie laying because she evacuated an egg without a shell in her icu cage.
Suzie is now mostly healed and she and Lola are both laying. I'm not sure if Betty is laying yet because I haven't caught her in the act and the naughty ladies just let them drop as they go--it's like a treasure hunt every day here.
I have 9 eggs going into the incubator, I'm pretty sure they are all snowies.
View attachment 1269697 View attachment 1269698 View attachment 1269699 View attachment 1269700

left to right: Suzie & Lola, Bart in time out, Betty & Bart, Jack
How cute! Your snowies are gorgeous!

Someday that would be so much fun...:woot
I only met two BYC people so far...Michele and a Lady that asked me if I was Chickens really...Came for Birds and recognized my Birds...:gig..I was in shock...She hugged me too..:lau
I knew Michele lived near you but I didn't know you had met! I've met 2 BYCers too. One of them I already knew, and gen found out she had an account and one of them I met at a Poultry Bowl Competetion. Not sure I would recognize her if I saw her though.

Have you tried Meyer's?
They also aren't MG clean. :hmm

How cute! Your snowies are gorgeous!

I knew Michele lived near you but I didn't know you had met! I've met 2 BYCers too. One of them I already knew, and gen found out she had an account and one of them I met at a Poultry Bowl Competetion. Not sure I would recognize her if I saw her though.
Michelle came for Christmas dinner here. I don't chat with her though?...:idunno
I might be too crazy?....lol:wee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom