CALLING ALL ORPINGTON OWNERS!

Pics
I decided it was time to make a thread dedicated to our beautiful orpingtons. No matter if you have Lavender, Blue, buff, or any color join in to share your stories, pictures,and experiences with your orpington.
So join in I can't wait to hear from all my fellow orpington lovers! :D
Meet Betty, just hatched yesterday!

Attachments

• 7BD37891-E4E6-4EBA-BA29-62C433EFD7E3.jpeg
    7BD37891-E4E6-4EBA-BA29-62C433EFD7E3.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 9
We are new to chickens and have 4 Buff Orpingons. They are 2 weeks old and growing super fast! I did a lot of research before I chose a breed. Orpingtons and Sussex were my top 2 picks for a docile, friendly, heat tolerant, high egg production bird. We handle the chicks several times a day to make sure they are okay with people.
Congratulations 🎊 and good luck if you have any questions feel free to ask

Congratulations on the chicks have your broader set up I prefer brooding plates instead of heat lamps because they are safer and cheaper in the long run how many birds are you hatchingm
I have 4 brooders. One I made from a rabbit hutch, one from an old dresser I got for free, and 2 dog playpens. I use heat lamps the first few days and then brooder plates. I really love the brooder plates! I'm hatching over 100 eggs since I fill the incubators as soon as they are clean from the previous hatch. I also have 9 broody hens sitting on eggs. My bantam birchen broodies are all sharing the 3 chicks they hatched so far. I have to build a covered run for the babies since there are hawks.

Ok, just when you thought you'd seen it all, here is a pic of my dresser brooder complete with toys and a teddy. I got the color idea from the sign my son bought me for Christmas. I love bright colors! Clearly I had too much time on my hands this winter, lol. I use small stuffed animals for the chicks since they like to cuddle with them. Does anyone else do this with chicks?

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_095721.jpg
    IMG_20220517_095721.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220517_095705.jpg
    IMG_20220517_095705.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220517_095736.jpg
    IMG_20220517_095736.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220517_095732.jpg
    IMG_20220517_095732.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220517_095741.jpg
    IMG_20220517_095741.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 8
I have 4 brooders. One I made from a rabbit hutch, one from an old dresser I got for free, and 2 dog playpens. I use heat lamps the first few days and then brooder plates. I really love the brooder plates! I'm hatching over 100 eggs since I fill the incubators as soon as they are clean from the previous hatch. I also have 9 broody hens sitting on eggs. My bantam birchen broodies are all sharing the 3 chicks they hatched so far. I have to build a covered run for the babies since there are hawks.

Ok, just when you thought you'd seen it all, here is a pic of my dresser brooder complete with toys and a teddy. I got the color idea from the sign my son bought me for Christmas. I love bright colors! Clearly I had too much time on my hands this winter, lol. I use small stuffed animals for the chicks since they like to cuddle with them. Does anyone else do this with chicks?
OMG that looks like the most fun Brooder ever I'm definitely going to put some climbing toys in and a stuffed animal next time I brood some babies. Yeah brooding plates are the best my checks were getting way too overheated with hitting lamps and since they were in my bathtub I had to hang it from the shower head little did I know I had four chicks and a 250 watt bulb which was way too high for them. They were much happier with the brooding plate

The last set of chicks I had in there would only peck the xylophone in the middle of the night while I was asleep. I have an open cottage so the brooders and incubators are on one side and my stuff is on the other. It would wake me up every time, lol.

The last set of chicks I had in there would only peck the xylophone in the middle of the night while I was asleep. I have an open cottage so the brooders and incubators are on one side and my stuff is on the other. It would wake me up every time, lol.
Ha naughty chicks I had my 4 babies in the bathtub as a brooder because i got them on short notice and.......I missed my tub lol. Needless to say I am going to find other arguments text time. 😆

Back
Top Bottom