Calling ALL Pekin duck people!!! HELP ME

Pics

BarnDoorClosed

Chirping
May 24, 2018
Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read this for me!! I got 2 baby pekin ducks back in February, not sexed, and raised them. LOVE IT! Now since they have become adults I have an obvious female and an unknown. I have done so much research on drakes and I know they have drake feathers, sound different and all that. That being said I still think I may possibly have a drake?!? My 2 babies sound the same and look the same EXCEPT the one I think is a drake is about half a duck size bigger than the female, when they get in the pool the bigger of the two is always on top doing business with the small one and the bigger is the obvious leader. I know the pool thing can be a dominance display. Here is what puzzles me, I have been getting a single duck egg every day for the last 2 months now! I have seen who it is laying and know for sure its the smaller duck and the bigger always stand watch for her. The bigger one had a bigger head, more pronounced forhead and just bigger all around, but the sound exactly the same and never has there been a drake feather or pompom on top of the head!! Is it still possible to have a drake that sounds the same as the female being they grew up together???and no drake feathers?? Its not that he molted it out it has NEVER been there I have payed close attention lol Maybe I have a female that thinks she is male on the inside or just really wants to be a boy lol ANYONE ever seen a drake like I have described my possible drake??? Google offered no help aside from telling me all about the tell tell drake feather.

in the picture the bigger duck is on the right....not a great pic but they dont like to stand still long

Attachments

• 20180813_093350.jpg
    20180813_093350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Drakes don't get the Drake feather or a pompom on the head. It's curly tail feathers..
I'm not sure really what your asking..:idunno
Everything I have read on drakes is that they have the tell tell curly feathers at the end if the tail , mine bigger pekin does not have the curly feathers. My question is ....is it possible for a drake to never have said drake feathers at all, and sound very close to the female he is raised with??

Female ducks will mate each other if there is no drake around, How old are they? If they both quack then you've probably got 2 hens..
They are 6 months now. I must have a female that acts like a Male since there isnt one. I only get one egg a day and it's from the smaller of the 2. They both quack and talk very loudly like laughing , lol, love it!

Back
Top Bottom