Calling all quail hatchers.

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
so ok, DH just read on some quail hatching site that the humidity should be 80% for the first 20 days?? 90% for the hatch?? Is this true?? I thought they were 50% just like chickens, no??

I have had good luck hatching quail at 50% during incubation and 65% - 70% at hatching.

I had the same problem trying to research pheasant incubation/hatching. Everywhere I looked there was different instructions, I may try hatching some pheasants under my broody silkie hens.

Lisa

section you need:

Incubation of eggs
*Incubation period is 16-17 days but can go as long as 18 days (almost all of mine hatched at 18 days...so i plan my hatches around 18 days just to be safe)
*Turn eggs atleast 3 times a day
*Stop turning atleast 4 days before eggs are due to hatch
*Every quail breeder has their own humidity and temp preferences....I keep the temps in between 99.5F and 101F...however I try to keep it at 99.5 Fas much as I can. Humidity I keep in the 40s until the last four days of incubation where i up it to 60%

It's best to have a towel or a kitchen mat or something similar that the eggs can lay on in the incubator so that when the chicks hatch they dont get their legs stuck in the tiny wire....as their feet are so tiny they will fall through.

Brooder
Tupperware containers, and even aquariums make great brooders

It's ideal to put a soft top on the top of the brooders as spooked chicks will shoot straight up and can injure their heads (deaths have even been reported). I use 1/2" craft foam..and i super glue it or tape it to the top of each brooder works great! Kitchen mats also work great. A blanket or towel could work as well.

Just like with chicken chicks...make sure you have bedding, some use paper towels for the first few days to avoid splay leg...i start out with aspen or pine bedding thickly placed on the bottom of the brooder, the chicks walk on it fine as long as it's thick (atleast an inch thick).

Ohhhh no! I guess I needed to do more research! I have quail eggs in the bator on day 7 today, and first site I googled said incubation of 23 days, now ya'll are saying 16-18? Thats a HUGE difference!! which is it?? They're in a bator thats been riding in the mid 50's humidty wise.... when do I take em out of the turner???? They're bobwhite if it makes any difference?

Well I have hatched button quail and Coturnix quail. So this is the plain truth from someone who has done this.
Buttons hatch in 16 days.
Couturnix hatch at day 18.

chicken eggs hatch at 21 days.

here is a link to hatching times. http://www.gamebird.com/hatching.html

Good
luck!

Trust Sadina, the link from Monarch is the best. monarch does this all the time and has great luck!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Bobwhites do make a difference. 23 days and higher humidity
smile.png
Most of us here mainly raise Jap's

Back
Top Bottom