Calling All Rabbit Nutters

Y'all drive me nuts with your damn breeder word.
There are a billion people out there that have rabbits that are not breeders.

How many of you rabbit breeders have deformed babies or sick rabbits?

Treb did leave his mom and siblings earlier than you all would like but guess what He didn't die and he's not sick.
Breeders? I assume you mean pure bred rabbits? I have nothing against mix breed rabbits, and I doubt many people do. Similar with dogs.

That's always going to happen to anyone. It's a part of life.

And I'm happy for you, and love Treb. But it IS NOT SAFE and it is VERY irresponsible.

I just want to clarify for anyone reading over this thread interested in breeding rabbits. There are exceptions for weaning rabbits early, Benlyn experiencenced this with her Quinn, but it should be avoided as best possible.

Breeders? I assume you mean pure bred rabbits? I have nothing against mix breed rabbits, and I doubt many people do. Similar with dogs.

And I'm happy for you, and love Treb. But it IS NOT SAFE and it is VERY irresponsible.

I just want to clarify for anyone reading over this thread interested in breeding rabbits. There are exceptions for weaning rabbits early, Benlyn experiencenced this with her Quinn, but it should be avoided as best possible.
No I don't mean pure breed rabbits.
You are the one calling the people I got Treb from breeders. They aren't rabbit breeders. Just because someone has rabbits and sells them or gives them away doesn't make them a breeder.

I have alot of rabbits and I am not a breeder(well i dont sell them) i love my rabbits and do let them breed but i dont sell them. I have a neighbor that is a breeder and have met alot of breeders and a huge majority of them dont care for them as they should.
personally I feel adopting is better than breeding- here in the UK the majority of our rabbits dont make it to 5 years despite the lifespan of 8-12 years+
simply due to neglect. Most of these bunnies arent spayed, and 80% of unspayed rabbits develop reproductive cancer by 5 years. It's pretty sad. Meanwhile we have dozens of chain petstores and mill breeders and backyard breeders who throw out hundreds of bunnies each year to the general public, while hundreds more sit abandoned in animal shelters. I'm sure plenty of breeders are awesome people with awesome care, but I still feel there are simply enough bunnies in desparate need.

Getting a baby is more than appealing, theyre adorable and easily tamed and its fun to see them grow. But when you want a pet rabbit and are truly committed to that animals wellbeing, I think its simply kinder to adopt. Sadly most people want a cute baby bun, not an adult, and when they realise they dont stay cute and small forever (unless its a dwarf) I observe most people getting bored.

I believe this even more firmly since rescuing Bonnie. She was a cute pet for the kids to enjoy, and then they got bored and she got wild and then she got chucked out.
Idk. Just sharing my thoughts.

I agree that bunnies shouldnt be homed until a certain age, isnt a wise thing to do at all. But I'm pretty sure Treb's situation was a fair bit different to what you're imagining. I dont think Kiki did anything wrong by taking the unwanted baby.

personally I feel adopting is better than breeding- here in the UK the majority of our rabbits dont make it to 5 years despite the lifespan of 8-12 years+
simply due to neglect. Most of these bunnies arent spayed, and 80% of unspayed rabbits develop reproductive cancer by 5 years. It's pretty sad. Meanwhile we have dozens of chain petstores and mill breeders and backyard breeders who throw out hundreds of bunnies each year to the general public, while hundreds more sit abandoned in animal shelters. I'm sure plenty of breeders are awesome people with awesome care, but I still feel there are simply enough bunnies in desparate need.

Getting a baby is more than appealing, theyre adorable and easily tamed and its fun to see them grow. But when you want a pet rabbit and are truly committed to that animals wellbeing, I think its simply kinder to adopt. Sadly most people want a cute baby bun, not an adult, and when they realise they dont stay cute and small forever (unless its a dwarf) I observe most people getting bored.

I believe this even more firmly since rescuing Bonnie. She was a cute pet for the kids to enjoy, and then they got bored and she got wild and then she got chucked out.
Idk. Just sharing my thoughts.
My local Craigslist is full of just this...
Pet rabbits that they got bored with and are ready to chunk out. One day I will get a chunker. One day when Treb dies.

I agree that bunnies shouldnt be homed until a certain age, isnt a wise thing to do at all. But I'm pretty sure Treb's situation was a fair bit different to what you're imagining. I dont think Kiki did anything wrong by taking the unwanted baby.
Nope. Don't get me wrong about this whole thing. Sounds like she rescued him and in so glad she did ❤️

Back
Top Bottom