Calling all scovie owners! Are these scovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newchickmom09, Jun 16, 2010.

1. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Well, today I went to a ladies house and she had some beautiful chocolate scovies that just had ducklings. [​IMG] She also had some scovies that were white and black. I was only supposed to pick up two chicks when I went there. I had been thinking about getting scovies and getting rid of my swedish mixes since Cocoa is just so loud. WHen I saw these guys I just fell in love. The drakes were HUGE! I told her I would take two, one from one mother and another from the other mother so I wouldn't have brother and sister breeding. I figured different blood lines would be better in the long run. After I pick this brown one from the chocolate group, this group is fenced of just them. Then I picked this white one. I paid then left. I drive an hour and a half home and start to think that I saw a bunch of pekin ducks running around with all of these white and black scovies. It didn't dawn on me there that the white one could be a mix and end up being a mule (I think that is how scovie mixes go). So my question is does this white one look like a full scovie or it is to early to tell? They both have VERY long nails so I figured that was a good sign.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    I have no clue especially since I have a couple of mutts, but those are some seriously cute ducklings!

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The yellow one might be, but the other probably isn't.

Cute though!

4. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:If it is then will it be like a mule?

5. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    IMO, yes. My scovie babies could climb much better than a regular duckling, they were much more vocal, and had a long and short appearance. Does that ring a bell?

6. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:I guess it does. It took me a couple times to figure out what you where meaning. [​IMG] I had a long hot day driving.

I don't know if this would help to determain yes or no but every pekin there had a crest. It doesn't look like this one has any kind of crest.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Definitely on the yellow one, it's a Blue or Black barred. I am really not sure on the brown one. I have some Pekin/Khaki/Muscovy Mule babies right now that are that color, they have VERY short butts, almost no tails from underneath(strange i thought). Muscovies generally have long, pointy-ish tails, even as babies & have a fatter appearance than mules or mixed breeds.

try to get a good side pic & top pic of the brownie.

ETA: I just read, if the chocolates were fenced off the brown one is probably pure, just a wiggly thing and got bad pics. Muscovy bills are obviously different than mallard derived breeds and mules usually have normal mallard-like bills. Long nails is a Plus, my mules have stubby ones.

8. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Bleenie~ The brown one does have a tail just liek the yellow, wide and long. He/she is just a wiggle butt. [​IMG]

I really can't tell the difference between the bills...does anyone have a good pic to show me?

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your two little Scovy ducklings! [​IMG] Definitly a Barred baby there and a sweet Chocolate.

10. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Bleenie~ Here is a pic from above like you wanted

Ying Yang [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by