Calling all teenagers

go for it:yesss:
Alright so 2 summers ago before I started showing chickens, I had 3 bantam mixed hens and wanted a bantam rooster to breed them. There is an auction kind of close to my house that happens every Tuesday so me and my grandparents went there in the hopes to find a bantam rooster. We saw a few, but I didn't think they were right. Then, when the auction was about to end I saw a tiny dog kennel with 4 tiny black and white mottled Seramas, 3 hens and a rooster. I had never had Seramas up until them but I thought they would be nice to add to the bantam flock. We bid on them and ended up winning. When I brought them home, I put them straight in with the other bantams (I know your not supposed to do that but I did not know that 2 years ago). The 3 hens were fine and healthy but the rooster ended up being sick. I tried to help him but I didn't know much about sickness and cures either back then. He seemed to be doing better, but ended up dying that winter. That left me with the 3 hens. A few months later I became very interested in Seramas and wanted to start showing chickens again. So we build the Seramas their own coop because they stay with the big chickens during the winter. I joined 4-H and told the leader that I was in need of a Serama rooster. Literally 5 seconds after I said that, she went downstairs of her house and comes back up with a little birchen Serama rooster in her arms and handed him to me. He was perfect! I named him Tiny Tim and he is one of my favorite chickens he is so friendly and chill. By that time it was early spring and the new Serama coop had just been finished so Tiny Tim and the 3 hens moved in. (The hens are named Cookie, Cindy, and the third one doesn't currently have a name :/). About a month later I started collecting some of their eggs to go in the incubator. I collected 10 eggs and some other eggs from my standard sized chickens too. I put the eggs in the incubator then candled them. At the time Tiny Tim was still quite young and still learning how to mate so out of 10 Serama eggs, only 4 ended up being fertile. On day 21, first 4 large mix breed chicks hatched, then the next day 3 Serama chicks hatched and I guess the 4th one never made it out of the egg. I had the 7 chicks in the brooder for a few days, then realized I had a bunch of broody hens so it was worth a shot to sneak the chicks under them. I thought the Serama chicks were a bit too small for the full size broody hens that night I gathered up the 4 big chicks and snuck them in the main coop under 3 good broody hens. The next day I went to check on them and the hens had adopted them and were taking care of them great. When I came home that day I then put 2 mothers and the 4 babies in the Serama coop so they could be safe from the larger more aggressive hens. I decided to put the Serama babies out too and they were adopted as well! Everything was going perfect... until the next day when I came out and found one of the Serama chicks laying on the ground, cold, and barely able to move. I put it under a heat lamp but a few hours later it died. I guess it just got too weak and cold :(. The other chicks were doing great though and growing fast. The 4 large chicks went to new homes, and the 2 Serama chicks grew up up to be all black, and ended up being both hens (I got lucky I know). That brought my total up to 6 Seramas. One month later all 3 mature Serama hens went broody and were sitting on a few eggs. Unfortunately those eggs were not fertile because Tiny Tim was sick at the time. The 2 black pullets that I hatched I named Small Sofia and Minuscule Maddy, and I took them to a fair in the fall and another show in the winter and they did pretty well. Then last February I derided I wanted to add more colors and genetics into my Serama flock so that I could get more colors besides just black and mottled. So we ordered Serama eggs off ebay. 12 eggs total arrived, and I put them in the incubator as long as some of my own eggs from my Ameraucanas and my Marans. Out of those shipped eggs, 7 out of 9 hatched, I sold one as a chick, and now I have 6 (4 roosters and 2 hens so not very good luck this time). 2 of the roosters are frizzled so I will be keeping one frizzle rooster that is brown on the top and white on the bottom, and the two hens one is a chocolate with gold leakage, and the other is a chocolate barred. Which brings us to now. The chicks that hatched in March are now a month and a half old, and cookie is sitting on 4 eggs which are hopefully fertile.

Alright so 2 summers ago before I started showing chickens, I had 3 bantam mixed hens and wanted a bantam rooster to breed them. There is an auction kind of close to my house that happens every Tuesday so me and my grandparents went there in the hopes to find a bantam rooster. We saw a few, but I didn't think they were right. Then, when the auction was about to end I saw a tiny dog kennel with 4 tiny black and white mottled Seramas, 3 hens and a rooster. I had never had Seramas up until them but I thought they would be nice to add to the bantam flock. We bid on them and ended up winning. When I brought them home, I put them straight in with the other bantams (I know your not supposed to do that but I did not know that 2 years ago). The 3 hens were fine and healthy but the rooster ended up being sick. I tried to help him but I didn't know much about sickness and cures either back then. He seemed to be doing better, but ended up dying that winter. That left me with the 3 hens. A few months later I became very interested in Seramas and wanted to start showing chickens again. So we build the Seramas their own coop because they stay with the big chickens during the winter. I joined 4-H and told the leader that I was in need of a Serama rooster. Literally 5 seconds after I said that, she went downstairs of her house and comes back up with a little birchen Serama rooster in her arms and handed him to me. He was perfect! I named him Tiny Tim and he is one of my favorite chickens he is so friendly and chill. By that time it was early spring and the new Serama coop had just been finished so Tiny Tim and the 3 hens moved in. (The hens are named Cookie, Cindy, and the third one doesn't currently have a name :/). About a month later I started collecting some of their eggs to go in the incubator. I collected 10 eggs and some other eggs from my standard sized chickens too. I put the eggs in the incubator then candled them. At the time Tiny Tim was still quite young and still learning how to mate so out of 10 Serama eggs, only 4 ended up being fertile. On day 21, first 4 large mix breed chicks hatched, then the next day 3 Serama chicks hatched and I guess the 4th one never made it out of the egg. I had the 7 chicks in the brooder for a few days, then realized I had a bunch of broody hens so it was worth a shot to sneak the chicks under them. I thought the Serama chicks were a bit too small for the full size broody hens that night I gathered up the 4 big chicks and snuck them in the main coop under 3 good broody hens. The next day I went to check on them and the hens had adopted them and were taking care of them great. When I came home that day I then put 2 mothers and the 4 babies in the Serama coop so they could be safe from the larger more aggressive hens. I decided to put the Serama babies out too and they were adopted as well! Everything was going perfect... until the next day when I came out and found one of the Serama chicks laying on the ground, cold, and barely able to move. I put it under a heat lamp but a few hours later it died. I guess it just got too weak and cold :(. The other chicks were doing great though and growing fast. The 4 large chicks went to new homes, and the 2 Serama chicks grew up up to be all black, and ended up being both hens (I got lucky I know). That brought my total up to 6 Seramas. One month later all 3 mature Serama hens went broody and were sitting on a few eggs. Unfortunately those eggs were not fertile because Tiny Tim was sick at the time. The 2 black pullets that I hatched I named Small Sofia and Minuscule Maddy, and I took them to a fair in the fall and another show in the winter and they did pretty well. Then last February I derided I wanted to add more colors and genetics into my Serama flock so that I could get more colors besides just black and mottled. So we ordered Serama eggs off ebay. 12 eggs total arrived, and I put them in the incubator as long as some of my own eggs from my Ameraucanas and my Marans. Out of those shipped eggs, 7 out of 9 hatched, I sold one as a chick, and now I have 6 (4 roosters and 2 hens so not very good luck this time). 2 of the roosters are frizzled so I will be keeping one frizzle rooster that is brown on the top and white on the bottom, and the two hens one is a chocolate with gold leakage, and the other is a chocolate barred. Which brings us to now. The chicks that hatched in March are now a month and a half old, and cookie is sitting on 4 eggs which are hopefully fertile.
long but interesting. it's in my plans someday to have a few but i could barly get my parents to say ok to bantams. You are lucky. Thanks for the essay btw!

Back
Top Bottom