Calling the Duck Doctor

TominWa

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Montesano Wa.
My Coop
My Coop
I can't believe I am taking a duck to the vet tomorrow. This is going to cost me, but he is a really good duck. I noticed the white around the eye that wasn't there yesterday and he kept looking at me with the other one, like favoring. See picture. Just in case my Vet doesn't know about ducks, can someone give me information that might be handy to tell the vet? He free ranges and moved into our pond a few weeks ago if that matters. Other two ducks are just fine. He is one year old Muscovy, eats well no other signs of distress.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 30
Hopefully @Miss Lydia will get on here. I think she’s had experience with it and she has muscovys. But basically it’s an eye infection that is pretty easy to take care of.

Looks like foamy eye? But, I don' know anything regarding it.
Here is a link. http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/just-ask-expert-why-does-duck-have-foamy-eye
it is sort of foamy. I read the article and very interesting. For people in the future asking the same question, read the above article. One of two things? Antibiotics, or cleaning out a duct. I didn't see anywhere where it clears itself up so...off to the vet. Apparently there are feed store antibiotics that can be bought. I will talk about it with the vet for future use as well.

it is sort of foamy. I read the article and very interesting. For people in the future asking the same question, read the above article. One of two things? Antibiotics, or cleaning out a duct. I didn't see anywhere where it clears itself up so...off to the vet. Apparently there are feed store antibiotics that can be bought. I will talk about it with the vet for future use as well.
I have antibiotic eye drops for my kiddos that can be used on ducks. If you have anything like that, you could always try using it.

I have antibiotic eye drops for my kiddos that can be used on ducks. If you have anything like that, you could always try using it.
No nothing, I think since I have the appointment and a plan in place to get him in the transport cage will bite the bullet and take to the vet. Learn everything and get a medicine cabinet going so if this happens again will be prepared. I am going to be armed with the foamy eye thing as a suggestion of they don't know. Its nice to know that feed stores carry things?

No nothing, I think since I have the appointment and a plan in place to get him in the transport cage will bite the bullet and take to the vet. Learn everything and get a medicine cabinet going so if this happens again will be prepared. I am going to be armed with the foamy eye thing as a suggestion of they don't know. Its nice to know that feed stores carry things?
Going to the vet is your best bet. The like above says this:
The underlying respiratory infection is often bacterial in origin, so swabs for bacterial culture and antimicrobial sensitivity testing should be taken.
So hopefully your vet will do that or maybe they can do just a gram stain. If money is an issue, ask if you can do just a gram stain.

FWIW, I recently read something that said this foamy eye thing was common in Muscovy drakes, but I cannot remember where I read it. :oops:
good advise. As always, it seems at some point the same questions arise. Here is a reply from another thread here" I'd just keep an eye on it unless it becomes a consistent issue. I have a flock of Muscovies and have one drake that occasionally gets a foamy eye, too - I've noticed it only happens when it's too cold to put out the pools. I figure that he must not be blowing out his nares in the gallon water pails we leave out for the ducks on those days because as soon as the pools come back out and he can bathe, the foam goes away. He is perfectly sound, otherwise."https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/foamy-eye-in-muscovy-drake.1157166/

MORE INFORMATIO: http://www.topix.com/forum/food/duc...hat-is-white-foam-found-on-muscovoy-ducks-eye

MORE INFORMATION: in one of the above article there was a lady who mentioned that the Muscovy drakes are prone to this. The cure? Pen them and put in something big enough to dip their heads in. Clean water important. I did it.

I just went out and checked, and one hour later, white foam things gone. I don't know if it is permanent, but there is something to this. I am only mentioning as in the future someone else will be searching here for the same thing and trying to lay down information.

FYI: Two weeks ago they all discovered my pond. Good sized, full of bugs, duck heaven. He is beside himself he is so happy down there. He still comes to the house several times a day for his treats, the ladies in tow. Then back to the pond and is sleeping on a little island in it. He is happy. I don't have a predator problem and very difficult for a swooping hawk or something. I would rather he was penned up and safe, but he is so gleefully happy I let him live the life he wants.

That said, I am wondering if the amount of time in the pond has something to do with it. In fact, most definitely. He doesn't care about the clean water kiddie pool up top anymore and who could blame him.

Which brings up another question. This can't be a unique situation. Muscovies live all over the place in ponds and such. Any suggestions going forward?

And if the foam thing returns in the morning to the vet. At this point I am thinking of canceling the appointment?

Back
Top Bottom