Calls and Cayugas 2020

Pics
another good reason to hatch my own. I'd not want to clip them as they like my Chickens would be alowed to free range and If danger from a ground predator came I'd want them to be able to fly. And watching flying ducks land is also part of their charm. Would they be better served with a large comunal coop or a series of nest boxes on posts in the little ponds? should the calls and Cayugas be expected to share the same space? I have had great luck in my Bantam house with 5 or 6 roos at a time to 30 or so hens. Will I be able to do that with drakes or will I have to cull more?

another good reason to hatch my own. I'd not want to clip them as they like my Chickens would be alowed to free range and If danger from a ground predator came I'd want them to be able to fly. And watching flying ducks land is also part of their charm. Would they be better served with a large comunal coop or a series of nest boxes on posts in the little ponds? should the calls and Cayugas be expected to share the same space? I have had great luck in my Bantam house with 5 or 6 roos at a time to 30 or so hens. Will I be able to do that with drakes or will I have to cull more?
I keep my calls and my Cayuga ducks separate. I'm not saying you couldn't keep them together if they were raised together maybe. I know others keep standard size ducks and calls together. I just prefer to not chance it. If my Cayuga drake decided to Mount A call girl that could be a disaster.
And no..your not going gonna want to keep a lot of drakes. I have one Cayuga drake for 4 girls and sometimes I still think they are getting mounted too much.
With the Calls you can sort of get away with having a few more drakes because they do tend to pair up and stick to their partner.
Not always though. It just depends on the drake and the flock dynamic. How much space they have to get away from each other etc etc. all seems to play a part.
I wouldn't want to put nesting areas on ponds personally just because it would make it harder to check on nests or gather eggs.

I keep my calls and my Cayuga ducks separate. I'm not saying you couldn't keep them together if they were raised together maybe. I know others keep standard size ducks and calls together. I just prefer to not chance it. If my Cayuga drake decided to Mount A call girl that could be a disaster.
And no..your not going gonna want to keep a lot of drakes. I have one Cayuga drake for 4 girls and sometimes I still think they are getting mounted too much.
With the Calls you can sort of get away with having a few more drakes because they do tend to pair up and stick to their partner.
Not always though. It just depends on the drake and the flock dynamic. How much space they have to get away from each other etc etc. all seems to play a part.

I wouldn't want to put nesting areas on ponds personally just because it would make it harder to check on nests or gather eggs.

I'd make a drawbridge to each one. I have mad skillz with my wood tools :p I am pretty handy just tryn ta get all the info I can before I start building. Whatever is best for happy ducks is my goal with secondary goal of being reasonably easy to keep clean.

I'd make a drawbridge to each one. I have mad skillz with my wood tools :p I am pretty handy just tryn ta get all the info I can before I start building. Whatever is best for happy ducks is my goal with secondary goal of being reasonably easy to keep clean.
That sounds awesome. When you get started on it you should start a thread so we can all follow along with your build. :clap

@shawluvsbirds, any idea what color (or combination of colors) this thing would be considered? His dad was white, so in trying to figure out what color he was hiding.
Butters is a juvenile still, so I don't know what color his head will be when he gets his adult plumage. Thoughts?
20200524_110945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom