1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cameo vs Purple hens

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by scootj79, Oct 5, 2015.

1. scootj79

scootj79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Roscommon, MI
    Is body color of a cameo hen different than a purple hen other than purple hen has purple iridescence on their neck? Both body colors are different than standard india blue hens correct? Been in peafowl for a while and this one is confusing me some... lol

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

They are very similar but noticeably different when compared side by side. Most notably the Cameo have only tan and brown on the neck.

3. scootj79

scootj79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Roscommon, MI
    So purples can have green on the neck?

4. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Purple hens are much darker, and yes they some color on their neck, if there is a blue or a green color on their neck then they aren't cameo.

5. KsKingBee

These Purple chicks have purple on their necks. Much easier to see in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom right corner.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. KsKingBee

Purple BS cock and a Purple hen;

[​IMG]

The one on the far left is a Cameo hen, 2014 hatch, the one standing tall in the back is a Cameo cock. The two in the middle are Purple, one Purple BS on the right.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my Purple Black Shoulder (top) and Cameo Split Pied (bottom) a few days after I bought them back in August. They're both Spalding, so they both have green showing up in their necks now.

[​IMG]
    This was my Cameo from last week at a vet visit. I don't have any close ups of the Purple since they're both not really keen on being handled, but here's some shots at a distance:

[​IMG]
    From yesterday.

[​IMG]
    From August.

Sometimes, they do have a similar colour from a distance, but the Cameo is a lot darker and the Purple doesn't have whatever the technical term for the eyeliner patterning is.

8. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I don't see any cameos in your pics, they all look purple, and the one you took to the vet is purple for sure.

9. Definitely some color confusion going on here. Top picture is a purple hen (not black shoulder). Second picture could be a cameo black shoulder but looks more like purple black shoulder.

10. KsKingBee

I say it looks like my Purple BS hens, too dark for Cameo BS hens I have..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by