Camping

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carols Clucks, May 23, 2011.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Even though I have no reservations for a camp site yet, I am looking forward to some down time camping.

I am not a back packer, I like a nice campground, preferably with hot showers and wifi....lol We got a shower tent, so I guess I don't need the hot showers anymore.

I just ordered a Camp Kitchen from REI and was thinking to myself, just what do I need?

What is your favorite camping gear item (other than the obvious tent, sleeping bag....)

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Get an egg crate to put under the sleeping bags - that will save your life if you get a rocky spot!!!! Propane canisters for the stove, pans, plates, cups, utensils, lantern, toilet paper (no there never is any even if there is a toilet), towel, soap, ice chest, something to clean dishes with.

Please take stuff you can wash.Wild animals knock over trash cans and it can be a real mess. It is easier to wash in a creek or a fish cleaning sink. Oh, I tend to camp near lakes or streams.

My favorite camping item? Beer.

ETA: Oops google "campgrounds with flushable toilets in_____" whatever state you are in. Life saver there. I happened to have that list in my purse once and I won a contest at a baby shower for having the strangest item. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:My 37 foot tri-axle 5th wheel RV;)

My days of sleeping in a ditch are over......tents do nothing for me at this age, but at one time I do believe I slept outside more then in!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Truth be told, I've been camping, and the thing I like the best is, well, ideally, I'd have one of those deluxe motor homes with A/C, my own bathroom and satellite television......So you say that's not camping?

Well, my DH and I dream of having one at a very nice campground in OHIO, and we would take our dogs too. We could go hiking with the dogs, BBQ, read a book, I could crochet, and if it got horribly hot and humid, then I could side inside and watch a bit of TV.......

I just can't take the heat and humidity....Takes the joy out of everything, so I guess my answer is a good bed and A/C for sleeping.....

5. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    Oh man, I forgot to buy a propane canister before we headed to Death Valley in February. I figured just how much can they charge for them there? They are just a couple of bucks more in Yosemite.

$11! Holy cow!

Oh, thing to bring while camping in Yosemite, a clip or lock for the bear locker! Turns out they know how to open some of those bear proof lockers and there is nothing like the sound of a bear leaning up on your tent while licking out your jar of peanut butter.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm even better at camping than our buddy, Two Creeks.

I've found the best way to camp is at the Holiday Inn...

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    My stainless steel french press coffee maker. Any kind of coffee pot will do - the percolaters are great, as well.
    A small clothes line to hang wet towels on.
    Small cutting board and sharp knife.
    Marshmellow stakes (can also be used for hot dogs).
    Headlamp flash light.

8. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    Quote:My 37 foot tri-axle 5th wheel RV;)

My days of sleeping in a ditch are over......tents do nothing for me at this age, but at one time I do believe I slept outside more then in!

(shhh my guy has a 22 foot toy hauler but wants the 39' 5th wheel)

9. debilorrah

Quote:You solve the heat problem by camping at a high elevation. Nice and snuggly at night and beautiful during the day. Pick an area that typically doesn't have A/C and you know you are good to go.

I love camping. I love hanging out with other campers, grilled food, fishing, playing in the water, taking the time out to really appreciate nature.

10. debilorrah

Quote:Heck find a stick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by