Can a duck embryo still grow if it suffers an external egg crack at day 7?

AhyokaAcres

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
North Carolina
Hey guys, quick question beforeI head to work - one of my duck eggs has a slight crack that looks white but you can NOT feel and does not go through the egg (no leaking, etc). The little egg has a visible heartbeat and I'm so worried that this crack may compromise it in some way. Will the little guy be okay if I limit the times I move it? It's hard to explain but the crack is not really a "crack" but rather a white line that follows where a chicken egg definitely would have an internal crack. Are duck eggs strong enough to withstand this? Should I worry? I'd be devastated if I lost the little guy (only 7 days and I'm already attached)

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Hey there, yes the egg should be fine. Ive hatched my marans egg that was cracked and my last duck egg was really badly cracked and it survived to the hatching stage but pipped wrong end. I would hatch it. Now you can head off to work lol...:D

Hey there, yes the egg should be fine. Ive hatched my marans egg that was cracked and my last duck egg was really badly cracked and it survived to the hatching stage but pipped wrong end. I would hatch it. Now you can head off to work lol...
big_smile.png

Thank you
bow.gif
You saved my boss a lot of "crazy worried bird lady".

i hope it hatches for you.

i think as long as it doesn't go thru to the membrane ,it could be ok.
one of my shipped duck eggs got cracked.it had a dent in it about the size of a butterbean but it didn't go all the way thru.since i had room ,i put it in the bator with tape on it.today is 2 weeks and it is growing strong.i will have to watch it close on hatching day as i may have to remove the tape.

I've had cracked eggs that made it to hatching. I've heard people putting candle wax over the crack but I've never tried it myself.

Hey there everyone, one of my duck eggs is at day 16 and has a bad crack in it. It is one of those cracks where the shell caves in. I don't think the membrane was damaged because it was not leaking. I put tape over it just in case. Will it survive?

I wanted to know if "onewiththeducks" who posted the question about badly cracked duck egg was able to save baby duck. We just found one of our 21 day incubated duck eggs broken. Actually part of it crushed as was described in earlier posting. The mama duck was still on it, but part of the shell is missing, and membrane is torn. There is blood, but baby is breathing. After much freaking out and searching web for help, we cracked open refrigerated duck egg, warmed shell, put it over crushed duck egg, put band aids around egg shell to close, and then stuck under broody hen. I know the little guy will probably not make it, but just thought I would see if anyone had an experience like this!?!?!?

I wanted to know if "onewiththeducks" who posted the question about badly cracked duck egg was able to save baby duck. We just found one of our 21 day incubated duck eggs broken. Actually part of it crushed as was described in earlier posting. The mama duck was still on it, but part of the shell is missing, and membrane is torn. There is blood, but baby is breathing. After much freaking out and searching web for help, we cracked open refrigerated duck egg, warmed shell, put it over crushed duck egg, put band aids around egg shell to close, and then stuck under broody hen. I know the little guy will probably not make it, but just thought I would see if anyone had an experience like this!?!?!?
Sadly, no I wasn't able to save it. I found pieces of the egg shell scattered around the coop the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom